Lack of Confidence & a Business

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Lack of Confidence & a Business

Postby tishialee on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 pm

For as long as I can remember I've always lacked self-confidence! I was just sitting here thinking about when I first started my VA business and how much confidence I lacked in myself! When possible clients would contact me about my service, I totally doubted that I had anything to offer them. A couple times I wouldn't even quote them the price I wanted to be charging because I was afraid I didn't deserve to be charging that much.

Man am I glad those lack of confidence days are over!!!! LOL. I finally came to a point in my life (and my business) that I realized I am worth it. Sure I might do something as simple as submitting an article for someone but I've got it down pat (I could do it in my sleep I'm sure....lol) and I'm good at it, so that expertise is well worth my rate.

How about you, are you confident or do you need to work on it some?
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mila on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:15 pm

That's great to hear Tishia. It's important to be confident in the things you do. Glad you got over that!
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby myjadie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:46 pm

I am working on it :lol:
A Coupon lovers Dream Business
Check it out at http://myjadie.myworldmovie.com
myjadie
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:20 pm

It's been a while since I've been in the job market, so any confidence I did have, has waned during the years at home. I'm trying to figure out a way to regain that confidence. So, any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)
Mara B

Postby KatieForrest on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:56 pm

I have improved a hell of a lot over the past few months, but am still working on it

Katie
Katie Forrest
Nutritionist & Network Marketer

Business Opportunity: http://www.TheNutritionWebsite.com/toppage2.htm
Skin Care: http://www.katieforrest.goldenkeys.net
KatieForrest

Postby basbds on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:27 pm

What a great thread! :D

Tishialee, I'm so glad you've found your confidence! Business will only get better for you because you have!

I'm totally confident in myself and in the fact that I can help people achieve their goals in my business!

It helps that I've been doing it for years, but also - when I first started out - to have had a proven business plan to follow. I still follow it to this day, and it still works!

I now know that I can do exactly what I tell people I can do for them. Experience over the years has helped me settle that confidence into a stable part of my business relationships with them, and I think that they appreciate my confidence in them and their abilities to build their own businesses - at least, I've had a lot of folks tell me that they appreciate it! :wink:

Don't ever undervalue yourselves. God has made each of us exactly the way He wants us, and He values us for it. If the Lord of Creation values us for who we are, can we do no less based upon His word? Can we value others less knowing His value of them?

I've read this forum for a long time now, and every now and then I participate. I've witnessed the caring and richness of the people here. Each has been valuable, from the newbie entrepreneur to the head honcha herself because of their contributions. I almost always learn something new every time I come to this board, even after twenty years of operating a home-based business!

Way cool! 8)

Brian

-
Making Income the Intelligent Way
www.IntelligentIncome.info

HTWFH Publications,
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info

HTWFH Ezine
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info/Blog
basbds
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Mila on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 pm

Each has been valuable, from the newbie entrepreneur to the head honcha herself because of their contributions. I almost always learn something new every time I come to this board, even after twenty years of operating a home-based business!

That's a great statement Brian. I think this way too, we each have something very special to contribute and you can always learn something new - whether it be from someone more experienced than you or just starting out.... each person adds a different perspective.
Mila

Postby Nell Taliercio on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 pm

I need to work on it still. It's funny because in some aspects of my business and very confident and others I lack confidence so much that I know it affects my business.
Nell Taliercio
Legit Jobs From Home
http://www.justonlinejobs.com
Nell Taliercio

Postby herdirectsales on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:06 pm

That's awesome Tishia!

Many years ago I was shy and never wanted to be in the position where I had to talk about myself (business). I wasted so much time being like that however, the journey itself was meant to be learned. It wasn't about me, it was about helping others with the knowledge I had!

I don't make it about *me*, I've learned to take the focus off myself and be a servant for those who really need help.

Since then confidence soars! :)

Blessings ~ Regina

Mask On? Mask Off?
www.Answers4Women.com
herdirectsales

Postby Mel on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:29 pm

Regina... in your picture, you look like a "go get 'em" kind of woman. I would never have guessed that you were once shy.

I used to be as scared of success as I was of failure but not anymore. I still don't like to be in the spotlight but on the other hand, I know it's something I need to do to get up the success ladder so I suck it up and deal with it... and it's getting easier each time.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby tishialee on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:47 pm

Yeah I'm with you Mel - I would of never guessed Regina to be shy. Her picture exudes (think that's the word I want....lol) confidence!
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby Mila on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 am

I've met a few very confident people who at some stage in their life weren't that way at all. Michel Fortin is one of those people.

Regina is so right, you can waste so much time being stuck with an insecurity, but I guess unless it's the right time, it's not always easy to overcome them.

I'm a firm believer in visualization and positive thinking. And if that doesn't work then just think that everyone has down days or days they don't feel particularly confident... we're all human, no one is perfect.
Mila

Postby Sean's Mom on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:29 am

I am, in general, a pretty confident person...but when it comes to my business, forget about it.

Before I did my first craft show, I had a really difficlut time pricing my work, I still do sometimes actually. Even though I knew exactly how much I had spent on supplies and exactly how much effort and dedication I had put into each piece, it was hard for me to imagine someone spending "that much" money on something I had made. I found a really great free resource online that was guidelines for how to price hand made crafts. I tried it out on a few of my favorite pieces and it just didn't work for me. For my best selling earrings, which are $8.00 a pair, using their system, I should charge $14.00 a pair. I like them and all, but I personally wouldn't be able to spend $14.00 on them, no matter how much I liked them. It's something I still struggle with, in part because I'm not confident enough to think that someone would want to spend "that much" on something I made and in part because I strive to make my jewelry afforable for real, everyday folks like myself.

I get insecure when I first show someone a new design too. Everytime I do a show my confidence grows because of the compliments I get and the quanity I sell. After I did my first show, I said it would have been worth it even if I hadn't made a single penny because of how good I felt everytime some admired my work.

I think that every woman, to some extent, in some aspect of their lives, lacks confidence in some way.

Erin
Handcrafted jewelry that REAL people can afford!

www.jewelrybyerin.com
Sean's Mom

Postby laurie1009 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 am

I know this is something I need to work on. I always am looking to be "validated" by others, and you know what? Usually, that doesn't happen :(

I am trying to believe that if I'm where God wants me, He will work through me. I need to do my best, of course, and represent Him in a good way, but it takes some of the pressure off.
Laurie Neumann
Home Business Selection Advisor - Helping You Find the Right Home Business for You
www.christianhomebusinessconnection.com
Pick up your copy of the Home Business Resource Guide at www.legitimate-homebasedbusinesses.com
laurie1009

Postby basbds on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just a follow up to Erin's post above.

I went to her web site and saw her personlized bracelet and thought that it would make a great Mother's Day present for my wife, Brenda. I asked Erin to make one in sapphire blue with my two children's names and an extender. (Shhhhhh, don't tell Brenda. It's a surprise!)

I just received it from Erin and I gotta tell you all that this is an absolutely gorgeous bracelet! :D

Not only that, but Erin added matching earrings also - no extra charge! She also includes shipping & handling!

If you'd like some beautiful jewelry at reasonable prices, I highly recommend that you contact Erin. :)

=========================================

Now onward to address Erin's post...

Erin, you do stunning work. You shouldn't have any feelings that you charge too much for your jewelry - as far as I can tell, each piece seems to be well priced. I'm totally delighted with the bracelet you made for me and think it was a great bargain for the amount you charged!

I'm glad that you've gained the confidence you needed through your shows. It's well placed and well deserved!

Brian

-
Making Income the Intelligent Way
www.IntelligentIncome.info

HTWFH Publications,
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info

HTWFH Ezine
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info/Blog
basbds
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Next

Return to Getting Started