Do I really need a website?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Do I really need a website?

Postby Mara B on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:40 pm

I'm hoping to start writing and editing as I've mentioned before, but do I REALLY need a website? Or can I get these types of jobs without one?
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Kit on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:01 am

Mara,

I think having your own website would be the PERFECT way to showcase your skills and you can even add your portfolio to it. Don't forget it would be a good place to put a few ads for items which complement what you do.

Wishing you great success!
L
Kit
Admin Support

Postby tishialee on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Yep I agree - you need your own website. And my recommendation is that you don't use somewhere like go city (think that's what it's called) where they let you build a free website. In my opinion those can be very unprofessional looking sites because they will be bombarded with ads that aren't yours.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby Alice Seba on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 pm

Setting up a simple website where people can see you portfolio and get in touch with you for a quote is soooooo simple...you should definitely set aside some time or funds to get someone else to do it.

You can generate a lot of work through word-of-mouth and that has already been happening for you, but to keep things steady and snag more clients, I bet you'd do a lot better with a website.

Alice
Alice Seba
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Mel on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:53 pm

I agree that a website can really boost your client base. If you're not comfortable building a standard site with FrontPage or other program like that, try using WordPress to do it. It's pretty easy to work with.
Mel
General Manager

Re: Do I really need a website?

Postby basbds on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 am

Mara B wrote:I'm hoping to start writing and editing as I've mentioned before, but do I REALLY need a website? Or can I get these types of jobs without one?

Hi Mara,

I agree w/ the ladies above. A web site would help showcase your work as well as provide a convenient way to get information to potential clients.

Technically speaking though, a web site is not absolutely necessary for your intended work. I wrote a series of articles in my eZine about this some years ago in which I described a procedure to do online marketing w/o a site. Your work would be very similar to that.

Posting/bidding on sites like eLance, etc. would bring in editing jobs (with a winning bid). For authoring, you can advertise your products with PPC campaigns in AdWords and the like, and you can advertise in targeted eZines and offline publications. All you really need for the above is an email address (get a separate one from your personal email).

To deliver the final edited document or a written piece in digital form, you can convert them to PDF and send them as an attachment to the client/customer. (If you keep the finished piece in Word, be aware that some email programs - yours or the receiver's - tweak things during the mailing process due to hidden commands in Word programming. Alternatively, you can put the piece into a pure text editor like Notepad and send as a .txt file - but only if a client would accept that.) Another alternative is to place the doc on a CD and mail it (although most folks prefer the digital form I think - ask the VAs here how their clients want their documents).

All of this can be accomplished w/o a site, BUT a site would certainly be a great place for showcasing! :D

Brian

-
Making Income the Intelligent Way
www.IntelligentIncome.info

HTWFH Publications,
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info

HTWFH Ezine
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info/Blog
basbds
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

A website is vital

Postby ZedBiz on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:36 am

My opinion is that a website is vital. It gives you credibility, provide contact data, and is one of the cheapest forms of advertising you can have.

And with the technology available now, it is so easy to have a good website.

The best solution is to use Wordpress. They have options now that you can have a static front page, and easily build new pages any time. And for a writer like yourself, the blog would be perfect.

And there are so many free beautiful templates available, that with just a little tweaking can look so original.

Go for it!
Jack
Just Launched
FREE - 101 Internet Marketing Gems from PRIVATE forum - Get it NOW!
Also check out the Wahm Blog - Wahm Blog
ZedBiz

Re: A website is vital

Postby basbds on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:27 pm

ZedBiz wrote:The best solution is to use Wordpress. They have options now that you can have a static front page, and easily build new pages any time.

Hi Jack,

Where can one get the add-on for a WP static front page?

Thanks,

Brian

-
Making Income the Intelligent Way
www.IntelligentIncome.info

HTWFH Publications,
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info

HTWFH Ezine
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info/Blog
basbds
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

WordPress Static Page

Postby ZedBiz on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:11 pm

Hi Brian,
It comes in the latest WordPress Install.

You first have to create the page by going to 'Write' in the admin panel and then choosing 'Write Page'.

Next you go to 'Options' and there you can set the home page to be static and choose any of the pages you have created.

Jack
Just Launched
FREE - 101 Internet Marketing Gems from PRIVATE forum - Get it NOW!
Also check out the Wahm Blog - Wahm Blog
ZedBiz

Postby KelliTX on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 pm

Check out www.scriptlance.com . You can go there and pay someone to write articles, web page writing, press releases, etc. I'm not sure what you have to do to sign up to bid on projects.. but it's worth checking out.

Also the e-book www.honestriches2.net gives a lot of good information about starting a website. She also will set up your first website for FREE with purchase of her book.

I am currently looking for a writer to write articles for me for my website www.click2promo.com . Do you do this type of writing? Or website content writing? I might be a potential customer :)
Kelli Smith
www.click2promo.com
www.honestriches2.net Great internet markeing e-book!
KelliTX
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Nell Taliercio on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Simply put...yes. :D
Nell Taliercio

Postby soapin'Angela on Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:38 am

You first have to create the page by going to 'Write' in the admin panel and then choosing 'Write Page'.

Next you go to 'Options' and there you can set the home page to be static and choose any of the pages you have created.

Oh wow I never knew that, thanks for that info!

Mara, if you go to my link below you'll see my site is a wordpress site and I just love it! I switched over from it being a totally static site to having the Wordpress blog on my main page, and since doing so my traffic has doubled. :)
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby ebay_addict on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:56 pm

wordpress.org is my personal fav. Free, all you have to pay for is hosting. Wordpress sites do very well in the search engines too!
My Online Income System- Step-by-Step instructions on how to make money online
ebay_addict
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 pm

Thank you for the replies, everyone. What's the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.net? Or is there even a difference? Is WordPress one of the easier sites, or just one that most people use?

I will definitely be looking at the sites you all have listed. Thanks again!
Mara B

Postby Kit on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:11 am

Generally speaking, Wordpress.com is for hosted blogs (on their site.) It's similar to Blogspot on Google. Wordpress.net is for blogs/cms (sites) on your own domain/site.
Kit
Admin Support

Next

Return to Getting Started