Do I really need a website?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Postby sti1990 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:19 pm

I was also going to suggest visiting Angela's site because it looks awesome! Goes to show that you can give a blog a professional look.

Have you thought about getting your own domain name? That's one more way to exude professionalism rather than having the free .blogspot or .wordpress as part of your domain.
sti1990
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:08 am

Lace wrote:Generally speaking, Wordpress.com is for hosted blogs (on their site.) It's similar to Blogspot on Google. Wordpress.net is for blogs/cms (sites) on your own domain/site.

Sounding stupid here, but what's "CMS"? That's an acronym I haven't run across yet.

I've been to Angela's site, and it DOES look great.

I have thought about getting a domain name, but I'm not sure if I want to just go with my name (which would be easy and most likely available) or try to come up with a "clever" name for my business and use that. I've never been really clever when it comes to names.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Alice Seba on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:38 pm

CMS = Content Management System

Can be a blog, or system that I use to run my FAQ that you have visited etc. It's just a program/script that makes it easy to post and update content.

Alice
Alice Seba
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Mara B on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Thanks, Alice. I've seen the acronym, but from a government contracting standpoint, and was positive it wasn't the same thing.

There's SO much to learn. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm that proverbial old dog that you can't teach new tricks. :oops: :roll:
Mara B

Postby soapin'Angela on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:30 am

Mara you can do it! If you need help with setting up a blog let me know, I'd be happy to help or offer any advice I can.

Thanks so much for the compliments on my site! :)
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby sti1990 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Don't get discouraged, Mara! There's a lot of info here and all over the net and it's hard not to get sucked into all of it. Just focus on one thing at a time to start and once those things are in place, start on the next. Trying to do it all at once will discourage you.
sti1990
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, the offers of help, and the advice. I do so appreciate each and every one! I think I'm narrowing things down, and will let you know what I come up with when I have.
Mara B

Previous

Return to Getting Started