Zipped Files

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Zipped Files

Postby tishialee on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 pm

When it is a good idea to zip a file? I know that the whole point of zipping files is to make the file smaller. I checked out WinZip but didn't purchase it because I don't send a lot of large files.

Right now I have a couple projects going on that are HUGE and when it's all said and done there will be TONS of word documents to send to my client.

I've already sent a few of the word docs and it just seems like the files were huge & I should of zipped them.

So what's a good rule of thumb, is there one?
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mel on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:25 am

I zip anything that is very big or that has multiple items because it seems to send faster/better. You can zip files with Windows just by right clicking the folder/document you want to zip and choosing SEND TO -->> COMPRESSED (ZIP) FOLDER.

I use ZipGenius (free) and it works great too.

Mel
Mel
General Manager

Postby Mila on Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:30 am

Yeah, I was going to say you don't need to buy it... by the way, lately I've been having trouble opening some zip files (I get asked for a password). Is there a new version of WinZip that's doing this? Does anyone know?
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Mara B on Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:22 pm

I haven't had a problem with anything I've gotten as a zipped file requiring a password. I'd be interested to find out if there's a newer version that's requiring them, as well.
Mara B

Postby Mel on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:13 pm

Are all the zip files that you are having problems with coming from a single person? If so, I wonder if they have their program set to automatically password the files when they zip them up. Otherwise, I don't know.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Mila on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 am

they're coming from two different people Mel, both people who haven't really used zip files much in the past so maybe it's a setting on there. I'm going to ask them to take a look again.
Mila

Postby Mara B on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:04 pm

This will show you how much I know about Zip files, I didn't even know you could PUT a password on them. :oops: I see that's something else to put on my list of things to learn. ;)
Mara B

Postby Mel on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:22 pm

I don't typically password mine because from what I have read, they don't do a real good job of protecting the file anyway. Of course it's better than nothing I suppose but if it's easy to crack the code then what's the point?

That being said, if I were sending confidential stuff then I'd probably do it anyway, just for an added measure but for the misc stuff I do, it's not really that big of a deal.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby tishialee on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:03 pm

I didn't know you could do it free right there in Word - LOL! Of course it would be something that simple! Good thing I didn't purchase software that I dind't have too!
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby Mila on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:13 am

I'm glad you didn't spend the money Tishia!
Mila

Postby basbds on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:19 am

Hi TL,

I've used both JustZipIt (free), other freebies - but I've forgotten their names, and WinZip.

I've found that some of the free zip apps will corrupt files either in the zipping or unzipping process. It's the reason I've returned to WinZip.

I got away from WinZip when they eventually wanted to charge me for an upgrade (my original version was REALLY old! :lol:). Got into and then out of the freebies. I got tired of asking for a resend when my files got corrupted.

Yes, you have to pay for WinZip, but it hasn't failed me yet! :D

Other than nasty little bugs attaching themselves during the mailing process, I haven't really thought much about the security aspects as I put all my secure docs into a passworded PDF. I can see how some VAs wouldn't be able to do that though.

Brian

-
Making Income the Intelligent Way
www.IntelligentIncome.info

HTWFH Publications,
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info

HTWFH Ezine
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info/Blog
basbds
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Return to Getting Started