spam

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

spam

Postby beachmom on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:54 pm

I hope this is the correct forum to ask this in...

Do you guys get a lot of spam on your site email? I have gotten some and was just wondering if it's par for the course.
beachmom
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mel on Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:58 pm

I think some spam is normal. There are different things you can do to help prevent bots from harvesting your email address but I'm not sure any work 100%.

I know there are scripts you can install to hide your address, you can use a form instead of an email (but those have to be spam proofed too) and you can turn your email address into a non-clickable graphic which I've seen several people do.

I'm considering going the graphic route but am still tossing the idea around since I know it'd be less convenient for my potential clients since they couldn't just click the link to launch their email program.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby tishialee on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 am

Yeah I agree with Mel. I think spam is normal :-(
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Kit on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:21 am

Ditto what Mel said.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mila on Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:37 pm

I get so much SPAM as well. Lately i've had SPAM email with pictures in it (very bad pictures!). The other day I opened one by accident with my son standing right next to me... luckily I quickly closed it!
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby allmylovecrafts on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Allot of people have luch by spelling out the @ - AT The spiders don't seem to get it but most people know what it means.

Hope this helps,
Sheryl Loch ~ allmylovecrafts
allmylovecrafts

Postby Kit on Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:31 am

The spammers are getting "smarter" with harvesting and are wise to some of the old disguising tricks. I've also seen people write their address in these ways to help deter the spammers.

joe@mydomain(dot)net

joe.mydomain.com (replace first dot with @)

There are a zillion ways to disguise your email addy but none of them are foolproof.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby sti1990 on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:27 am

I can't believe spammers have nothing better to do with their time...
sti1990
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm with you Christina. Do you think they get paid for doing it, or they just like ticking people off? I can't imagine what they "get" out of sending spam. :roll:
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby lindastacy on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:30 pm

When deciding on a method of providing contact information on your site, take into consideration how much your business depends on visitors making contact with you. The more important it is for customers to be able to email you, the easier it has to be for them to do so.

So... if you just need an email address on your site as a "just in case someone needs to contact me" using a graphic or one of the other methods like spelling out "at" and "dot" is an okay option. (Although graphics still seem to work, some experts think spelling things out doesn't.... many spambots probably know what to look for).

If you need to make it easy for customers to reach you, there are some easy to install and use scripts available that hide your address from the spambots, but make it visible and clickable for customers.

You can also use a contact form, but select carefully. Not only do you need to make sure that your email address isn't in shown in the HTML code where spambots can harvest it, but you have to be sure the script is secure and kept up-to-date. A poorly written contact form script can be used to send mass email from you server. And even forms that not vulnerable to mass email can be used to send spam to you... lots of spam because many forms are accessible to spambots that automatically fill out the forms.

Other tips....

Spammers harvest my email address from some message boards so I use "throw away" email addresses. When I start getting a lot of spam I can easily change it to a new one.

Make sure you don't have a "catch-all" email address on your server. A catch-all delivers all email no matter how it's addressed.

Don't use common email addresses (like info@, webmaster@, admin@, linda@, etc) Spammers can automatically generate email to all the common email addresses for a server.

Some spam is inevitable if you have any kind of an online presence. In my opinion, if you're running an online business you need to maintain control over your own incoming email. Don't leave it up to your email server to decide what gets delivered and what doesn't. Turn off the server spam filters and use your own, high quality spam filter that allows you to make the decisions.

>>> Team Building Tips and Tools
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby lindastacy on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Mara B wrote:....I can't imagine what they "get" out of sending spam. :roll:

They send spam because

1 - It's easy to do and is very inexpensive advertising

2 - It works... no matter how much we all hate it, they make money from it.

>>> Team Building Tips and Tools
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby allmylovecrafts on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:39 pm

What kills me is my daughter has a friend that live cross country & is on AOL. Cait tried 3 time to send a picture of herself & her dog to this AOL address - they turned her into our server as a spammer. AOL never delivered the message just saw it as spam. It was a letter, 1 pic, & a link to Cait's site & the blog. But look how much spam comes out of the AOL server & they do nothing if you complain. They just want their money!
Sheryl Loch ~ allmylovecrafts
allmylovecrafts

Postby beachmom on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone for all the info! Linda, I have to figure out how to do some of the things you listed. Sounds like good info!
beachmom

Spam is a fact of life

Postby ZedBiz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:43 pm

I think it has come to the point that if you are doing business online then getting some SPAM is a fact of life.

I also think that consumers are now very acceptable to using a contact form - just keep it simple.

One of the best types of contact forms is to use your autoresponder (that you use for your customer email list).

Set up a new autoresponder for customer service, and make sure the notification email is set to one that you check regularly for your business. I then set the first message to go out automatically just to say that we received their inquiry and will get back to them asap. I don't have any other messages in the series, as I do not want to email them when they did not really sign up for regular emails. But I do occasionally send out a broadcast just asking if they are satisfied with the customer service (only about once every 4 months).

Jack
Just Launched
FREE - 101 Internet Marketing Gems from PRIVATE forum - Get it NOW!
Also check out the Wahm Blog - Wahm Blog
ZedBiz

Postby travlin on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 pm

I was getting a lot of spam in my personal email address, but since I have been marking it as spam, most of it now goes to my bulk folder. I haven't had any of my regular email go to bulk, so it's a good filter.
travlin

Next

Return to Getting Started