How Often do You Replace Your Computer?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

How Often do You Replace Your Computer?

Postby tishialee on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:43 am

It's been about 2 years since I purchased my computer. I've heard some people say it's good to purchase (or at least upgrade) every 2-3 years.

What are your opinions?

Do you upgrade or buy new every couple years?

What are the benefits of this?
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby lindastacy on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 am

Are those "some people" computer sales reps? :wink:

I think it's probably accurate that every two or three years you can get a lot more for your money because technology changes so fast and prices go down.

But I think changing computers is a pain and I only do it when absolutely necessary.

If there's something you're lacking you might be able to just upgrade that... add more memory or another disk for example.

The other thing to consider is that most systems come with pre-installed software now and you might not want what they're selling. For example, if you want a windows based system you'll probably end up with windows vista... if that's what you want, no problem, but if you don't want it yet.....

I think the old adage applies... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby soapin'Angela on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Yea I just got my first 'new' computer almost 2 years ago now but before that I had a computer I bought for $400 used from a guy I worked with and I used it till it died (though I wasn't using it for business at the time).
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby Mel on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:15 pm

When I purchased pre-built computers from like Dell or someplace like that then yes, I replaced mine about every 3 years because they typically would be so slow it was irritating or not do what I needed them to and it was expensive or impossible to upgrade (according to the manufacturer's support team... who I'm sure were trained to sell new machines).

Now that I have mine built to my specifications it's easier to upgrade just the individual components that I want. So although yes, I probably will upgrade some things every few years, I won't have to go out and buy a whole new machine for probably many years.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby tishialee on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:34 pm

Ok I didn't know you could have a computer built to your specifications :shock: I'm so clueless about technology!

I like the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' idea ;-)
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby sti1990 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:52 am

I hate to buy computers so I'm a fan of "if it ain't broke..."

Be sure to back up your work though because as the computer ages, there's no telling when the hard drive could get fried. That happened to our computer a couple of years ago. All of a sudden it wouldn't turn on and the PC guy said it would be cheaper to buy new than to fix it.
sti1990
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby amurray on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:16 pm

I agree with the 'If it aint broke, don't fix it' camp. I think a computer you are using, even for most home based businesses only uses email, internet, word processing & maybe a web design or graphics program. None of these are very hard on a computer. Most problems with a 2-3 yr old computer is either accumulated junk running in the background or spyware/ virus.

I think just cleaning up the harddrive & maybe adding memory is enough to get 5+ years out of a system. Either doing these tasks yourself or paying/bartering with someone to do these for you is a lot less hassle then getting a new PC & having to move all your files & settings.

Andy
amurray
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Return to Getting Started