Business Communication - What do You Prefer?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Business Communication - What do You Prefer?

Postby tishialee on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Most of my clients I've never talked to on the phone, everything has been via email until recently.

I don't have a problem talking to a client on the phone but it seems like when I'm on the phone I tend to feel 'nervous' or something and get tongue tied.

I guess maybe my struggle with the phone is that I like to be able to stop and think about something before answering so in an email I can think about things but on the phone I don't have the option to really 'stop and think'.

When you are dealing with clients, what's your prefered method of communication?
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby kamckinley on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:24 pm

I prefer email most of the time. The only exception is when a prospective client first contacts me. I've discovered that a phone conversation works much better for the first contact with a client. Less chance of mis-understandings and we seem to connect better when we have a phone conversation.

I've also noticed that prospective clients who call me instead of sending an email are more likely to become paying clients, and they are usually better clients. Not sure why that is, but I've seen a definite pattern over the last year, so now I call all prospective clients even if they contacted my via email.

But, if I had a preference, I'd do it all through email. I love technology!
kamckinley
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mila on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:40 am

I definitely prefer email. Kristine, that's interesting because in my case i've noticed the opposite when it comes to writing. The ones that one to get on the phone are usually very indicisive about what they want.

Now for my new copywriting clients, we definitely have to get on the phone but I won't be taking too many of those so it's not a constant thing.

but email 100% is the best !
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Mel on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:44 am

Definitely email for me too. I don't mind an occasional phone call but I don't like talking on the phone for business or personal so I keep it to a minimum. I've actually taken my phone # off my website & now only do by appointment only because I used to get a lot of calls from people wanting to know how to become a VA. :?
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby soapin'Angela on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:31 pm

I prefer email for sure. I've worked with a few people who want to get on the phone for weekly updates and I find it to be such a waste of time because everythign we end up saying on the phone could of been said over the phone.

I do bill for those weekly calls though so it's easy work for me if they want to spent 45 minutes a week on the phone!

As for feeling ackward, I think for me it depends on the person I'm talking to... some people I just feel immediately comfortable with and can talk with like an old friend and then others it's just hard to make the conversation flow.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby Kit on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:51 am

I generally communicate better on the phone. When dealing with clients, I prefer email unless I'm trying to explain something complicated. In that case, I use IM or the phone as a last resort.

Ahem...is that snickering I hear from a few of you? ;)
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mara B on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:55 am

I would think if you HAVE to communicate by telephone, you would be the one to initiate the call, to avoid their having your telephone number. (Of course, if they have caller ID, then all bets are off! :roll: ) If you don't mind their calling, I guess there's not a problem.

Just my two cents worth.
Mara B

Postby Kit on Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:03 am

Clients get my "business" number which erm...I turn off right after I say what needs to be said and then we go back to the email route. lol
Kit
Admin Support

Email is best for me

Postby ZedBiz on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:08 pm

I really prefer email best:
- can save messages, look back or refer back to old messages
- can link to other information
- can be done anytime
- I think about my answers more - better info
- simple, easy, effortless

That said, most of my offline consulting clients prefer phone. I do not mind talking on the phone, but I do find myself missing some key things that are said - not exactly missing, but overlooking is more like it.

So what I try to do is make notes when I am on the phone call - to refer back to at another time.

Jack
Just Launched
FREE - 101 Internet Marketing Gems from PRIVATE forum - Get it NOW!
Also check out the Wahm Blog - Wahm Blog
ZedBiz

Postby Nell Taliercio on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:09 am

It would depend. If it were something easy to communicate via email, then I liked email.

If it were a complicated issue that would just end up in a back and forth email session then I'd rather get it cranked out in one easy phone call.
Nell Taliercio
Legit Jobs From Home
http://www.justonlinejobs.com
Nell Taliercio

Personally

Postby pplprincess on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:21 pm

I prefer the phone best. I guess because I feel trapped while I am on the computer for too long.

I am always trying to multi-task. (As I type this I have 5 other windows up and something downloading.- Not to mention the laundry is going and I will be starting dinner soon.) I liek being able to walk around the house with my headset on, notebad in my back pocket w/ a pen and keep on with what I am doing.

To me that works well.

Most of the time, I do the first meeting on the pc because with all the crazy people out there, my prospects feel more comfortable.

Liz
pplprincess
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:28 am

I'm not quite THAT good at multi-tasking, YET. I'm getting there, though. I find that when I'm on the phone, it's too easy to get side tracked and off the original intent for the call. So, for me, using email helps me to keep focused.
Mara B

Return to Getting Started