Fax Machines

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Fax Machines

Postby tishialee on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm

Do you think as a business owner I should own a fax machine?

I've never had the need for one before but now I have a client that wants me to fax things. I don't know if I want to go spend money on purchasing a fax machine.

I have used a local store here in town that allows you to send and receive faxes but they are super expensive now - $2.00 something a page to send and $3.00 something a page to receive so that just wouldn't even be worth my time or money to use them all the time.

Any suggestions?
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby kamckinley on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:15 pm

I use an electronic fax service to receive faxes (there are several companies that offer this, but I think efax and callwave are the most popular). I pay $7.95 per month for callwave, but I receive several faxes a week from clients, so the fee is worth it for my business.

To send faxes, I use an all-in-one machine. I don't send very many faxes, so it's not worth it to have a stand alone fax machine. Plus, I'm finding I can email a pdf document in place of faxing a lot of times.

The best solution for you will depend on how often you need to send/receive faxes. I think I saw this same discussion on another board, and many business owners are getting away with not having a fax machine or a fax service. I wish I could get rid of mine!

Kristine
kamckinley
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mel on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:25 am

I have an all-in-one machine too but rarely use the fax. I receive all my faxes through efax so I can keep a copy on CD. I wish I'd known you needed one, I just donated my stand alone fax machine, lots of extra ink rolls and several other office related things to the 2nd hand store a month ago.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby tishialee on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:02 pm

I just faxed 3 pages (three silly little pages!) today to a new client (our contact) and it cost me $5.00 flipping dollars! $5.00 dollars - how ridiculous is that? It made me so mad even though I was pretty much expecting it.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:44 am

We bought a fax machine when we started our home inspection business, but figured it was probably cheaper than having to go someplace to fax things. We had a 50 page contract we had to send one time, I shudder to think how much THAT would have cost!
Mara B

Return to Getting Started