Lap Top Computers

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Postby Annette Elton on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:10 pm

My first laptop, I went all out and spent as much as I could on a very high end Toshiba computer. It lasted 5 years. Not so much because Toshiba isn't a good brand, it is, but because I don't think laptop computers are really designed to last like a desktop is.

So my second laptop, a $500ish Dell, seemed like a good choice. I've had it for two years, still going strong, and the only thing I've needed to replace is the power cord. I do recommend Dell but I also think that it is important to realize that a laptop just isn't going to last as long as you want it to. Plus the storage on a lower end laptop isn't quite what you need if you have a lot of files. You can solved that problem with an external hard drive but that's another story. If you already have a desktop you can keep most of your files there.
Annette Elton
Staff Writer

Postby tishialee on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 am

Ok so from the jist of it all I've learned that Wal-Mart is a no no for a laptop and other than that I don't really know what I'm looking for...LOL. Good thing I don't have the money to purchase one right now cause I'd be a pretty bad customer not knowing what I want and all ;-)
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mara B on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:18 pm

I really would suggest that you look at reputable electronics stores, not stores that supply everyone's needs. ;) If you go with someplace like CompUSA, BestBuy, or Circuit City, you know they specialize in electronics. They'll also likely have a tech support department on site, which should help if you DO have a problem in the future.
Mara B

Postby Keri Wolf on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I just saw an ad on tv that Wal-mart now carries some Dell products.
Keri
Keri Wolf
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Mel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:23 am

Yes, Dell is selling through Wal-mart now. Would the the tech support and warranty be the same regardless of where you purchased? That might be something to look in to.

Now to play the devil's advocate here, I've had some bad experiences with a couple of those well known (and listed above) electronic companies.

First, I purchased an $1800 computer/printer package from one and they had absolutely the WORST tech support/help desk I've ever dealt with. Within a few months of purchase I had some fairly minor problems with the computer and I took it back for repair since it was under warranty... all they did was reload the operating system and tweak a couple things and said it was fixed but when I got it home, it wasn't. So I called and complained and ended up having to contact a district manager to get them to actually repair it. Needless to say, that was the last major purchase I ever made from that company.

Second time... I worked for a place that purchased several thousand dollars worth of equipment from another of the above mentioned stores and one of the products croaked less than a week after the return policy time expired. They refused to issue a refund or repair it even though it was under warranty. That one took having an attorney contact the head office to get a replacement.

So just because a place offers tech support doesn't necessarily mean you'll get your stuff fixed if you have problems.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby mtorrini on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:02 am

So get this-
I bought a Dell at Walmart last weekend, with tax- $849. Did not go there to buy a laptop, just happened by it, and there were 2 left.
A 2 year warranty was offered, but I declined, as I can fix it myself. I have torn apart and put together more laptops and towers than I care to count.
Keep in mind, the Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc) is not installed- has to be purchased separately. I have all of that software here at home, so I did not need it.
I telecommute and installing the Cisco software to tap into my work was a breeze.
So far no problems at all and it flies.
Another plus- the battery lasts a long time. I was surprised because I heard Vista sucks the life out of the battery. But the battery in our HP laptop is worthless (running XP).
It all depends on what you need I guess.
~megan
mtorrini
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:25 am

I guess if you're happy with the laptop you got, that's all that matters. I think we paid less than that at CompUSA when we bought my our laptop, but we got a really good deal.
Mara B

Postby Mel on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:38 pm

You're absolutely right Mara, being happy with your purchase is the most important thing. I'm hoping to buy a laptop this weekend and still haven't decided where to purchase from. I guess I need to see who's offering the best deal for what I need/want. :)
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby dreamcatcher on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:08 pm

A few weeks ago I saw a computer at Walmart for under $400 I almost bought one. The brand is Acer and I know that brand well. I used to live in Taiwan where it is made. My bf has an Acer laptop and I use it and it's a good computer. He got his from a computer show that was specially made for the show so I doubt you could get the same model but something similar and just as good. I have no problems buying one from Walmart.
dreamcatcher
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Keri Wolf on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:01 am

With all this great advice have you purchased a laptop yet Tishia?
Keri
Keri Wolf

Postby Mara B on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Our laptop is an Acer, and we're very pleased with it so far. We've had it for about 2 years and haven't had any real problems with it.

Believe me, if I could find a brand new Acer laptop for $400, I'd snatch it up, no matter where it was. ;)
Mara B

Postby tishialee on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:29 pm

Kari I didn't end up purchasing a laptop because I ended up having to purchase a brand new desktop computer.

I bought another Dell and I'm totally happy with it :-)

I am hoping that by the first of the year I'll have some extra money to be able to purchase a laptop but if not I'm ok with that.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby Keri Wolf on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:31 am

A new desktop is just as exciting. I have a Dell desktop and laptop and I have had really good luck with them. I've had to call their support line once and even though they are in India they were great.
Keri
Keri Wolf

Postby Mara B on Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:11 pm

We got our laptop at CompUSA. We bought the extended warranty, and if it tears up, they'll replace it. If they don't have that model (and most likely they won't), they'll upgrade to the next available model they have for free. We've had to do that with other things we've bought there before, but not our laptop yet.
Mara B

Previous

Return to Getting Started