Blog Bookmarks Question

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Blog Bookmarks Question

Postby tishialee on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

I've recently started seeing on a lot of the blogs that I follow a big long list at the bottom of the entry with "Bookmark To" and then a big ole list of all these funny looking little 'button' type things.

Are all those basically the same thing as bookmarking to my favorites folder?

Is it a good idea to have this on your blog?
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby KellyMcCausey on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:08 pm

Oh boy... big topic!

Well, no - it's not at all like adding to your favorites.

Each bookmarking tool is connected to a Web 2.0 style social website and each has its own 'thing' that it does.

Basically, it's a way of saying 'hey, look at this, it's really cool'
Work at Home Moms Talk Radio
http://www.wahmtalkradio.com
KellyMcCausey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:45 am

I'm guessing all those buttons add-ons that you have to choose to add, and that they aren't part of the template.

Are they just for blogs, or are there similar buttons for "regular" websites?
Mara B

Postby Kit on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:54 am

Actually, some template developers add those in for you. You just have to look to see which ones have the options you want. ;)

kit
Kit
Admin Support

Postby tishialee on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:49 pm

How would/do you know the options you want?
Tishia Lee
tishialee

Postby Kit on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Basically, I learned by reading the "getting started" instructions and the other info available from the Wordpress.org site. Once I found out that there was specific seo info for wordpress, I just went to that section, read and applied the techniques that were right for me.

As far as the templates are concerned, most people just choose a template they like and use it. If you are like most beginners, you choose the graphic header you like and pretty much ignore the template form. Once you learn more, you look for the items a template includes and ignore the graphic. (By this time you know you can change any graphic. ;) ) When you preview templates, it shows what each template offers, such as bookmarking, extra pages, search boxes, adsense options, etc.

The bottom line is if you want to learn about Wordpress or other blogs, you'll need to read, read, read and read again.

Kit
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mara B on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:41 am

Or, if you're like me, if you've read, read, read and don't understand, you can always ask someone with more knowledge for help. :) Thankfully there are people here that are willing to answer what you might think is a stupid question. I guess it helps to remember that we all have to start someplace, and they're willing to help others avoid some of their own mistakes.
Mara B

Postby tishialee on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:23 am

I'm usually really good about reading first before asking questions. Alot of the time I just need someone to put things into terms I can understand instead of the mumbo jumbo that some of these places use.
Tishia Lee
tishialee

Postby Mel on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 am

:lol: ahh... all the mumbo jumbo. Don't you just wish they'd put everything in simplified terms? I know there are some people who want to know every little detail but personally, just give me a bulleted list of what the darn thing does, tell me how to install it and leave it at that... I'm so non-technical, it drives me crazy to read through page after page to get to the short summary of it all.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby autumn1220 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:35 pm

Wow I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't always "get it" after I read everything. Sometimes I wish there was someone right here with me looking over my shoulder and explaining step by step. :D
Judy
30% off all advertising until May 1st. Exclusive ad spots available. http://www.wahmonabudget.com
autumn1220
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mila on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:55 am

Amen Mel! For certain things I just don't need the details... not sure my non technical mind could handle it :wink:
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Mara B on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:52 pm

Mel wrote::lol: ahh... all the mumbo jumbo. Don't you just wish they'd put everything in simplified terms? I know there are some people who want to know every little detail but personally, just give me a bulleted list of what the darn thing does, tell me how to install it and leave it at that... I'm so non-technical, it drives me crazy to read through page after page to get to the short summary of it all.

Yeah, I'm a Reader's Digest Condensed Version kind of gal, myself! Why say in 200 words what can be said in less than 25? It makes no sense, and that comes from someone who can be quite verbose. ;)
Mara B

Return to Getting Started