SitePal: Annoying or Cute?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

SitePal: Annoying or Cute?

Postby Dale King on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:33 am

More and more small businesses are using SitePal's virtual talking characters to enhance their websites and increase sales - which begs the the question...

Are SitePal's virtual talking characters annoying or cute?

How do you feel, when you come across a website that has one?

Dale King
If you're tired of all the money-making
hype, lies and scams...read this!
http://guruknowledge.org/pages/The-Supe ... e-Handbook
Dale King
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Mel on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:37 am

Personally, I think they are annoying as heck. I know a couple people who have used them in the past and I rarely visited the sites because of it. Plus... those who don't have high-speed internet, it just makes loading the page take even longer.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Kit on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 am

*tries to remember this is a "family friendly site"* I like them just as much as I like spam!

Kit
Kit
Admin Support

Postby tishialee on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 pm

I haven't came across any (that I remember anyways) but if they are anything like audio that automatically plays when a page loads I know I won't like them.

One of my biggest pet peeves is having a page loud and all of a sudden have this voice talking to me. I don't mind if they give you the option of pressing play to listen.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Nell Taliercio on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:47 am

ANNOYING, ANNOYING, ANNOYING! :lol:
Nell Taliercio
Legit Jobs From Home
http://www.justonlinejobs.com
Nell Taliercio

Postby Mara B on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:19 am

The only person I can think that they would be of benefit for is those that have vision problems. Otherwise, they just take up my time by having to search for the mute button!
Mara B

Postby Mila on Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:08 am

very annoying and odd too.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby lindastacy on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:34 am

I haven't run across SitePal on many websites, but I just checked their site... the voices aren't nearly as annoying as they used to be. The technology has improved a lot!

I'm sure there are applications where SitePal would be very appropriate and well received.... sites for kids?.... and teenagers would surely come up with all sorts of fun ways to use them. Or how about gaming sites?
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby osen on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:34 am

Extremely annoying.

They are like aliens trying to be human.
osen
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Dale King on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:14 pm

osen wrote:

Extremely annoying.

They are like aliens trying to be human.

Ha, ha, ha! That's a good one! :lol:

Dale King
If you're tired of all the money-making
hype, lies and scams...read this!
http://guruknowledge.org/pages/The-Supe ... e-Handbook
Dale King
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby soapin'Angela on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 pm

Yep I find them annoying. They would be not quite so annoying if there was a stop button.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby sara08852 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:09 pm

They're just annoying and ridiculous. I wonder who thought of inventing such characters.
I also hate when you make a phone call and and you have to make an option by saying it out loud, why not let people punch numbers instead of making them talk to a stupid machine !
I make quality custom crib bedding at low prices.
My work is featured on Squidoo.
sara08852

Postby IndieRetailer.com on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:45 pm

I think that they could have a place when/if used appropriately. Lindastacy mentioned they might be good for kids. Ebooks4Tots.com is such a site that uses SitePal in a cute way.

I've used SitePal on a site where no matter what I printed, or how I stated it, customers just didn't pay attention to our shipping policy. I added a SitePal character (using my own voice narrative) to explain the shipping policy and I had no further issues. I allowed controls for volume or mute and did not lose any business as a result. In fact, orders increased.

Speaking of the voices; if someone were to use SitePal, I'd recommend using your own voice. It makes it more personal and customers are more responsive.

However, in this day and age of YouTube (free video hosting), webcams, and inexpensive user friendly editors, it would be more effective for business owners to produce their own videos. Whether it's a simple introduction of yourself and your business philosophy, or a complete tour of your business operations. If you want a video on your site, it's too easy to just do it yourself. You'll not only save the cost of SitePal hosting, but you'll also not compromise the load time of your pages if you host your video on YouTube or Google because the video is served from their servers. It may take some time for your video to load (depending on size), but it should have no effect on your page loading.
Best Regards,

Jennifer
http://www.DollarCardMarketing.com - Unique dollar bill business card, drop cards, and sizzle cards.
http://www.WebMarketingBurst.com - Create your own Lead Capture Pages, AutoResponders, Contact Manager, and Shopping Cart from one service!
IndieRetailer.com

Return to Getting Started