Spiller of Mistakes

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Spiller of Mistakes

Postby tishialee on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:50 pm

I just finished reading Kelly's post (http://experts.internetbasedmoms.com/kelly/audio-increases-relationship) about how she is 'spiller of mistakes'.

It reminded that it's because of people like Kelly, and other internet marketers, etc that are willing to share their mistakes that I've learned without having to make the same mistake.

And it also reminded that today I did one of the most empowering things I've ever done - I admitted that I bit off more than I could chew to a new client and gave her until Sept 1st to find a new VA. I didn't know that standing up and admitting that I took on more than I could handle would be such a 'powerful' moment for me. What I had worked up in my head about how she would handle it didn't happen at all. In fact quite the opposite - she totally respected me for standing up and speaking out. It's making her take a look at her expectations of a VA and we had a great conversation on the phone about things.

So I'm 'spilling my mistake' and sharing my story becauase maybe it will help someone else. I bit off more than I could chew because I wasn't willing to turn down a client because I thought I just HAD to have the income this client would provide. Instead it's brought a month of sleepless nights, headaches, stress and overwhelm. And not only would I of been doing an inservice to myself and my other clients by continuining to keep this client, I would of been doing an inservice to her and her business also.

What a powerful learning experience for me and what a wonderful moment of growth all rolled into one. I'm finally understanding that I can't take on everything that I have to set a limit and say no.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mara B on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:58 am

I'm glad that things worked out well for you, and that your fears were unfounded. It's never easy to admit making a mistake, but at least you were big enough to admit it and then take action to correct it. Good job!
Mara B

Postby KellyMcCausey on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:01 am

Tishia!

The web is so full of people so full of themselves. They never admit mistakes. They wear a mask and play a game of presenting just what they want others to see because they think that other people will be so impressed with their neat package of perfection.

I don't have a problem with someone who prefers to be tidier than I - but I can't stand the mask.

I am who I am. I have done what I have done. I've blew things and I've done well with things. I feel like showing anything less than the unvarnished truth is to rob my listeners of an opportunity to skip a few rungs on the ladder.

If my admitting my failures helps someone else to reach their goals faster - I'll make a list right now and publish it LOL!

I think my realism makes me approachable and believable. I'm glad that people don't have the opportunity to think that I have to all together. I want my listeners to look at me and say 'Wow, she's a real mom who got out of debt and quit her job even though she doesn't always do everything perfect - I can do it too!'

I love my target market so much - moms who want to stay home with the kids and contribute to the family future - they just rock and they deserve the truth and nothing but the truth.

:) Mush-Mush - I'm up late and I think my tiredness is turning into sappy stuff here. LOL!
Work at Home Moms Talk Radio
http://www.wahmtalkradio.com
KellyMcCausey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby joannaB on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 am

I could not agree more! Two years ago when I first started my business venture, I did put on the mask. I set up my office space at home and wanted to give the illusion to any business associates or clients that I was a successful entrepreneur in an office somewhere, not at home with my 3 wonderful boys.

I was going to be professional, composed, put together. I squeezed phone calls into the kids' nap time so that the occasional :wink: whining would not be heard. (Why is it always when I'm on the phone?!) It was exhausting and actually hampered my ability to work efficiently.

How freeing it was to decide that, as you said Kelly, I am who I am...first, a mom to my kids and second a businesswoman! My interactions with clients would not be free from interruptions. I would make mistakes. I would sound unprofessional at times. But that is where I am in my life and my career and I love it.

Funny thing. There seems to be an unspoken appreciation from business associates when I interrupt a phone call to respond to one of my kids or admit to a client that I've made a mistake. Humility goes a long way. Being real & genuine quietly builds a foundation of honesty with others and is the only way to go when you're developing relationships and a successful business!
Find local kids birthday party locations, entertainers, cakes, and more
www.DallasBirthdays.com
www.LosAngelesBirthdays.com
www.PartyFetch.com
joannaB
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mila on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 am

The web is so full of people so full of themselves. They never admit mistakes. They wear a mask and play a game of presenting just what they want others to see because they think that other people will be so impressed with their neat package of perfection.

Couldn't have said it better myself! This one gets to me, because I think it can actually be very discouraging for people starting out. They get the impression that marketing is a breeze and that some people have it all figured out -- I don't think that's fair, because every business person makes mistakes... there is no such thing as perfection.

It's all clever marketing though to make themselves as you say a "neat package" and have others want to be just like them.

I for one am happy to admit mistakes because otherwise we wouldn't be human. I applaud your honesty Kelly and you too Tishia. It's great to see that you've learned from the mistakes and can see them for what they are -- just minor setbacks, nothing to really worry about for the long term.

Humility goes a long way. Being real & genuine quietly builds a foundation of honesty with others and is the only way to go when you're developing relationships and a successful business!

What a great story Joanna. I used to struggle with this (the kids in the background) and just the other day I was speaking to a BIG client and my son interrupted and it honestly didn't bother me one bit, I just said excuse me a minute it's summer vacation so my children are at home with me -- and he was just fine. In fact we had a nice chat about his kids and what it's like working from home with children around!
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby soapin'Angela on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 pm

I love my target market so much - moms who want to stay home with the kids and contribute to the family future - they just rock and they deserve the truth and nothing but the truth.

We love you too Kelly! :) I too love how you are so honest and open about everything, it is so cool to hear and see where you've gone and that it hasn't been a perfectly straight road to get there. Even when you admitted this past week that you'd gone a bit off the focus path, so cool.

I'll have to see how admitting my mistakes fits into my business - and start making sure I'm always being as real as I can, all the time. :)

Tishia, I think this happens to all of us. It's so easy to think you can fit in 'just a few more hours' for a new client!
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby ZedBiz on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 am

I'm a man - so I'm Perfect!
ZedBiz

Postby ZedBiz on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:13 am

Wonder if anyone will believe me?

lol

hehehe
ZedBiz

Postby ZedBiz on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:14 am

I think I made a mistake once - but then I checked and . . . .
Just Launched
FREE - 101 Internet Marketing Gems from PRIVATE forum - Get it NOW!
Also check out the Wahm Blog - Wahm Blog
ZedBiz

Postby Mila on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:51 pm

I'm a man - so I'm Perfect!

Ha! my husband seems to think the same thing for some strange reason :wink:
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby tishialee on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:32 pm

ZedBiz wrote:I'm a man - so I'm Perfect!

LMAO!
Tishia Lee
tishialee

Postby Mara B on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:16 pm

I think it's important to be honest from the get-go. I mean, what's going to happen once you've got everyone fooled into believing your "perfection" and then have a big boo boo? Then what happens to your credibility and their trust in you?
Mara B

Postby tishialee on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:19 am

Exactly Mara!
Tishia Lee
tishialee

Return to Getting Started