Advice To Boss/Client

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Advice To Boss/Client

Postby Kit on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:54 am

I had a few bosses, in the past, that I wanted to hug really tightly...around the neck. lol In most of those cases it was because the boss was having me do something that I knew was wrong or that I knew could be done in an easier way. Sometimes it was because I didn't like the way s/he treated the employees. I sooo wanted to be able to sit those bosses down and explain/suggest a few things to them. It's a pity that their attitude prevented me from being able to share with them.

Have you ever had that desire to "hug" your boss? What advice or suggestion would you have liked to been able to share? What did you promise yourself you would never do if you became a boss?
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Patrysha on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:48 am

Ha Ha! I just wanted to "hug" my boss on Thursday as a matter of fact. The VP was introducing the new web platform for the radio station web site. Way wicked with tools that'll make campaigns better. Of course, I'm all excited about that but then mister station manager gets a pinched look on his face saying remember that our prime objective is to sell radio. Ugh! Can you be more of a dinosaur?? Have you ever taken marketing??? Have you ever owned a small business?? This guy doesn't have a clue how powerful these tools can be to increasing the results for the clients and kicking up the revenue of the stations.

These are the same people that won't let me do live presentations like I want to because evidently an employee can't be an expert (on things like planning, time management, targeting, branding and publicity) and locals want outsiders to come in an be the expert...even if their on-site gal has actually had experience giving these sorts of presentations and has written e-books and articles on the topics ----argghhh!

So yes, while I LOVE my job...I hate that I feel straightjacketed by "old school sales management" that are keeping me from really flexing my potential...which of course is why I'm going through the back door by pursuing my own methods on my 'off' time.
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
http://www.pkmarketingsolutions.com
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Postby Mara B on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:34 pm

I'm so there, Kit! I'm all about honesty, and told my boss that I felt uncomfortable telling someone on the phone that they weren't here when they were standing right in front of me. I guess they appreciated the honesty, because they'd say, "I'm heading out of the office, tell them I've just stepped out." LOL
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mila on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:31 am

I've always been able to ignore my bosses where they don't really bother me :lol:

but maybe I've forgotten cause I've been at home so long. For me, it's important to treat people with respect and make them feel valued no matter how small or big their role is in a company.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Kit on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:03 am

Mila, you are exactly right! In general making people feel valued is the right thing to do. From a business perspective, showing appreciation keeps bosses from "getting too big for their britches," helps employees take pride in their work, and can make the employee feel like they matter as a person.

These things go a long way in building a successful team and company. Since one person can't do everything, much of a business' tasks must be delegated to others. When those "others" feel they have a vested interest in the company's success, they will go the extra mile to help it turn a profit. ;)

Oops...had one foot on my peach crate there. lol
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:41 pm

At that last job I mentioned, the business was owned by three brothers from Greece. I don't know if all Greek men consider women to be next to nothing in value, but these three did! It was not uncommon for the youngest brother to yell and cuss at the secretaries. :shock: It was terrible. Luckily I was never on the receiving end of his tirades, but it didn't do much for morale in the office. :?
Mara B

Postby tishialee on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:15 am

Oh yes I've had more than one boss like this. LOL. The one that really got my goat and made me want to STRANGLE was one that expected me to read their mind (and I was actually told this by this boss!!!!) and always be one or two steps ahead of them. Well first off I didn't get any 'proper' training, was just thrown into things pretty much and spent 99% of my time bawling my eyes out because of a tirade directed at me. Needless to say I left there after a couple months!

I wish people (bosses in general) would understand that if they sit down and are honest and make you feel valued and appreciated that they'll get alot farther with people instead of yelling/cussing at them (did that make any sense? lol.)
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby Mara B on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Yes, Tishia, that made sense. I would suggest that bosses, at least to begin with, spell everything they expect out to a new employee. How is a secretary to know what a boss wants if they just started a job?!
Mara B

Return to Getting Started