Curious Time Management question

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Curious Time Management question

Postby SharonMc on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 am

As I try to manage my time more wisely (never ending life task) I wonder how much time many of you spend on a daily basis getting up to speed on the business news and information specific to your business?

I could spend half the day reading wonderful tips and news to help my business. Our new information age is both a blessing and curse. Too much good info out there! Is there a percentage of time successful entrepreneurs dedicate to this kind of task?

Sharon
http://www.newurbanmom.com
SharonMc
New to Internet Based Moms

re Time Management

Postby dibee on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 am

Hi Sharon. I get up an hour earlier to view e-mails and read promo's - quickly, just to see if there is anything new. That hour goes fast!

I spend every evening - 2-3 hours writing, studying, and I spend about 10-12 hours every weekend. I couldn't have done this a couple of years ago, but because my son is old enough to take care of himself - he's 19 and very busy - I can do this now.

Still hoping to cut down on my wage hours and eventually quit my day job.....

Cheers, Dianne
Dianne M. Buxton is a working mom. She enjoys learning and sharing with other parents who'd love to achieve the dream of financial independence and spend more time at home! http://www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/24806
is where you can Earn While Shopping
dibee

Postby SharonMc on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:26 pm

Dianne I like your schedule because I'm out and about during the day with my other work. The schedule you follow allows for research to take place before and after the core business day.

Thanks

Sharon
SharonMc

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 pm

I get easily sidetracked, I'm afraid, and so I'm probably not the best person to give advice. However, I think if you are doing something constructive - reading pertinent email, learning, researching, etc. - that time is not wasted. It may not be "productive" as far as earning money during that time, but the activities may very well help you to earn more in the future.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mila on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:32 pm

This can be tough, there are so many great books to read and info out there that it's hard to cut back.

I think if you can find a balance between applying what you're learning and then once you do that, maybe go back and read/learn a little more that's great.

One method I followed was estimating my hourly rate then thinking every time I sat down to read or learn something it had to be really worth it (in other words the time investment would mean I would earn more money and increase my hourly rate in the longterm).

Make your time so valuable so that if you do look at new information you're getting something good out of it that it's worth enough to justify your time.

I try to keep that in mind when I'm aimlessly surfing the net... not always easy! :wink:
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby KellyMcCausey on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:56 pm

Don't consume more information than you can digest!

Pick a topic and study that exclusively for a while until you feel like you've gained all that you can and applied it all... then move on :)

If you try to keep tabs on everything, you'll go bonkers. This is still true for me after all this time.
Work at Home Moms Talk Radio
http://www.wahmtalkradio.com
KellyMcCausey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby soapin'Angela on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Great advice!

I could spend half the day reading wonderful tips and news to help my business. Our new information age is both a blessing and curse. Too much good info out there! Is there a percentage of time successful entrepreneurs dedicate to this kind of task?

I remember hearing somewhere that we are getting the same amount of information in ONE DAY that our ancestors (pre-computer) were getting in ONE YEAR.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela

Postby tishialee on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 pm

Ditto to what Kelly said! I have consumed more information that I can digest over the 1 1/2 I've been working from home and to be honest none of it has truly been beneficial (well that's not true because some of it has been) because I didn't take the time to really 'learn' and apply one thing before moving onto the next thing.

So yes definitely study one thing and get a 'grip' on that before moving onto the next subject.

KellyMcCausey wrote:Don't consume more information than you can digest!

Pick a topic and study that exclusively for a while until you feel like you've gained all that you can and applied it all... then move on :)

If you try to keep tabs on everything, you'll go bonkers. This is still true for me after all this time.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

What I normally do

Postby pplprincess on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:40 pm

I read alot. In saying that, you should also know that I work soley from home. So, my day is mostly mine.

My day normally starts about 8am. After I have driven John to work (he works from home and has a JOB -yuk) I usually take from 9-10 to read whichever book I have picked out for the week.

I just got done reading Dave Ramseys Total Money Makeover. Great book ladies. (sorry I get distracted)

From 10-12 I take a look at magazines, e-books etc and work on laundry or whatever other household stuff that needs to be done.

We take lunch and then I check my email. I usually don't check my email until about 1.

I use from about 1-3 or 4 depending on checking on the forums communicating via email and making appointments for phone calls.

I finish doing the household stuff then do whatever errands have to be done. (IE mailing out materials etc)

Once thats done, I pick up John about 5:30 we eat dinner make our phone calls and talk. Not in that order. =)

From about 8-10 is 'free time' wether it's spent playing boardgames, reading, watching TV, making more phone calls, whatever.

We tend to work long hours but it is a sacrifice we make now so that we can have more time later. We've got a good support system and John's little girl is an angel.

Liz
pplprincess

Postby Mila on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:57 am

I like to read a lot too and get frustrated that I haven't had as much time to read lately. I'm going to set aside a little time each day to read... I have about 5 books waiting that I really want to get through!
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Mel on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:43 am

I read each evening for a couple hours. I also keep a notebook & pen next to the bed to jot down thoughts as I go along. But I have to say, I'm guilty of reading way more than I can digest or possibly implement.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby wah_momma on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:27 pm

I totally agree with you on this one. I used to jump from topic to topic swearing I was learning something and actually I just drove myself MAD :) Now I try to stick with something, digest it and implement then move on to the next thing.. Its so much easier on my brain ;)

Aurelia

KellyMcCausey wrote:Don't consume more information than you can digest!

Become a Real Life Affiliate and earn 50% commission on great products for moms.
Visit me at the IBM Experts Blog
wah_momma

Postby wah_momma on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Oh Mel you are a fellow Jotter!! :) I too keep a notepad and pen near the bed to jot things down but I am sure to not drive myself crazy with the tips that I learn or things that I jot. Usually I will put a note that says - "look into this next week" or "ask So & So about this".

I do most of my reading at night after the house is asleep and it is my *quiet time* so I try not to jot anything too DEEP down :)

Mel wrote:I read each evening for a couple hours. I also keep a notebook & pen next to the bed to jot down thoughts as I go along. But I have to say, I'm guilty of reading way more than I can digest or possibly implement.
Become a Real Life Affiliate and earn 50% commission on great products for moms.
Visit me at the IBM Experts Blog
wah_momma

Postby Mara B on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:22 pm

If I've bought a book, it's fair game for the highlighter. I generally highlight, underline, make notes in the book, and jot things down on a tablet. I figure if I need to remember it, I've got 4 ways to try to find it again.
Mara B

fellow jotter

Postby pplprincess on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:46 pm

I keep a notebook and pen by my bed too =)

I tend to forget stuff if I dont write it down before I go to sleep.

Liz
pplprincess

Next

Return to Getting Started