Internet-based home business stats?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Internet-based home business stats?

Postby yardsalesurfer on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:25 am

Does anyone know of any statistics regarding how many home-based businesses are online? I've searched high and low and have not found any info regarding what I would think is a very important measure of how the internet has affected the business world, entrepreneurs, families and so on...
Melissa Griffore,
CEO Yardsale SurferTM
www.yardsalesurfer.com
yardsalesurfer
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:46 am

Hey Melissa,

I haven't really seen any that fit my criteria, either. What I found when I searched, in the past, is either home business stats or online stats but not a figure which included both. However, I know the information can be found at this link if you can stick with the search long enough. lol

If you find the answer, feel free to share it. :D
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Dale King on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:57 pm

yardsalesurfer wrote:

Does anyone know of any statistics regarding how many home-based businesses are online? I've searched high and low and have not found any info regarding what I would think is a very important measure of how the internet has affected the business world, entrepreneurs, families and so on...

That's not an easy question to answer, The numbers are all over the place depending on who's dong the counting. In either case, here are some estimates:

According to IDC, a top national research firm, there are between 34.3 million and 36.6 million home office households in the United States alone.

Nationwide, the number of home-based businesses may range from 18 million to 38 million, depending on who is doing the counting. U.S. Census figures. Pittsburgh Business Times

The number of home-based businesses in the United States surpassed 20 million in 2002, and is expected to eclipse 25 million by 2003 according to International Data Corp.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that there are now more than 18.3 million homebased businesses in the United States. (Entrepreneur Magazine )

The number of U.S. households that have a home-based business currently exceeds 12 percent." - Office of Advocacy, Small Business Administration

Newsweek magazine reports that by the year 2005, it’s anticipated that 50% of the households in the United States will be involved in a home-based business! (Source: http://www.kristiet.com/home-biz-fact-sheet.htm)

Anyway, based on these numbers, the number of home businesses in the U.S. range from 18 to 38 million.

Dale King
If you're tired of all the money-making
hype, lies and scams...read this!
http://guruknowledge.org/pages/The-Supe ... e-Handbook
Dale King
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby yardsalesurfer on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:49 am

Hi Dale thanks for replying...but the thing is what is being overlooked is that home-based businesses can range from a dentist, a dog groomer, a hairdresser etc..to a web designer, an online retailer, an online psychic service etc...
What I am most interested in is how the internet has provided more people with the opportunity to work from home. I don't think anyone is gathering statistics on this. I haven't found any research being done on this either.

Hi Kit, The U.S. census bureau is the first place I looked. I have contacted Pew Internet & American Life Project, experts in telecommuting, and a few other relevant organizations....and have had no luck in finding such info. Just thought I'd ask in case I might have overlooked something:)

Thanks for you help!
Melissa Griffore,
CEO Yardsale SurferTM
www.yardsalesurfer.com
yardsalesurfer
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Getting Started