Business Email Sign-Off

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Business Email Sign-Off

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:14 am

I recently read an article about business email. In the article a couple of people (experts) gave their opinions on how you should and should not end your business emails.

How do you sign your emails? Do you add "Thanks", "Kind Regards", or anything at all? How did you choose your phrase(s)?
Kit
Admin Support

Postby amurray on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:23 am

Interesting question. I never really gave it much thought. I always sign mine "Thanks Andy' I like to keep things casual & friendly.

Be interesting to see what others say.
amurray
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:42 am

I tend to alter my sign-off according to the individual email. For instance, if the email was asking me for help, I usually end it with something along the lines of "Best Wishes." For emails that bring my attention to an "oops" on the site or to something I might be interested in, I sign-off with "Thanks" to help create a friendly tone. I use the more formal "Thank You" if the tone of the email was formal to begin with.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:28 am

I change mine depending on what I'm replying to. I use:

Thanks
Thank you
Sincerely
All the best
Good luck
Best wishes
To your success,

.... there are a few others but you get the idea.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

most commonly used

Postby pplprincess on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:13 pm

My most commonly used phrase / sign off is probably;

Talk to you soon,

Liz

Although it isn't an everyday closer I feel it provides an opening for more conversation in the future.
pplprincess
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby tishialee on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:52 am

I alter mine depending on each individual email.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Kit on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:32 pm

In the article, the experts list a few phrases that you would probably want to reserve for non-business or non-client emails. These are:
  • Later
  • Talk Soon
  • Cheers
  • TGIF
  • Ciao
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mara B on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Gosh, from what I can remember from high school business class, we were told to sign either "Sincerely" or "Very Sincerely." I don't always follow that advice though, since times have changed. How I sign depends on the business relationship. I'd probably start with "Sincerely" and then as our relationship grows, I might sign otherwise.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mel on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:14 am

Some of my clients and I don't even sign emails. We know who is writing so we just say what we have to say and send. :lol:

When I write to my siblings, mom and some close friends I just sign "M" and forget the closing.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Kit on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:57 am

Hmmmmm...I'm so not going to comment.

Ok...you knew I would. :P The experts say when most people come to the end of a note, they expect a closing. It could come across as abrupt without one. It may also imply that you are saying, "I'm in too much of a hurry to be bothered with you," or "I'm not someone who gives a rat's...uh...butt."

Remember...clients are customers. They pay your salary. It literally pays to be nice and appreciative or, at the very least, appear that way. Whether you are on the customer end or selling end, you need to add some sort of closure and/or appreciation.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mila on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:32 am

I tend to use "All the best" but a lot of emails (people I talk to regularly) I don't sign. It doesn't bother me if the person doesn't sign it either as long as it's someone I speak to regularly... but a closing is the "right" thing to do for sure.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:56 am

Many of us take the same route, Mila & Mel. If I'm writing a personal note to friends or people I talk with often (non-business usually), I keep it short and sweet. I do the "initial" thing too, Mel. These people know me and we have a personal relationship or a "modified" business relationship so the standard business-email niceties don't always apply.
Kit
Admin Support

Return to Getting Started