Keeping Track of Email Addresses

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Keeping Track of Email Addresses

Postby amurray on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:48 am

How do you manage/use email addresses for your different websites? I am trying to use an email address for each of my sites, thinking it looks better to respond to customers/users with an email address that matches my site. Keeping track of the email addresses & checking them all I can see it getting out of control.

What are others doing?
amurray
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:54 am

Good question. The answer depends on how many sites we're talking about. How many are you trying to juggle?
Kit
Admin Support

Postby amurray on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:07 pm

Right now I only have 3 & they are managable with Outlook setup for the different accounts. I some times get tripped up on sending out new messages & remembering to select the right account.

I can see that if I was to add a few more sites it could become a chore.
amurray

Postby Mel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 pm

It's been a long time since I used outlook but I know with Thunderbird (free from Mozilla) I have each of my accounts set up separately. So as I check mail it comes to its own account folder and then when I reply they automatically are sent from the corresponding email address.

I manage 28 email accounts for myself and my clients so this is the only way I can keep up with all of them and make sure I'm sending from the right place.

You might look for an option in Outlook where you can set each account to send from it's corresponding outgoing address/server.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:31 pm

My email is set up to automatically reply from the addy the email was sent to. I just filter the incoming email into their own site/function folders.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby amurray on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Yes, I currently have Outlook setup to send replies from the account the original message came in on. I run into trouble when writting a new message and then have to manually select which account this message is sent from. Outlook will set 1 account as preferred so without an extra step all new messages are sent from that 1 account.
amurray

Postby Mel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:28 pm

Ahh... so it's starting the new messages. Hmm... so if you click your inbox for say account #3, then hit "new message" it doesn't automatically populate that email address as the sending one? With Thunderbird, as long as I'm in the folder it will send from that folder's address.

I'm not real sure if there's a fool proof way to do it.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Outlook Express (Windows Mail in Vista) will only allow 1 email addy to be the default. Doesn't matter what folder you are in. If you create a new email, it automatically uses the default addy.
Kit
Admin Support

Return to Getting Started