A name

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

A name

Postby Joanna on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:59 pm

I am an aspiring phographer. I am trying to build a website then I realized the site needs a name. All I have is Photo's by Joanna, but I think that is dull. What do you think and can anyone please help with a creative name please.
--
Joanna
Joanna
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Joanna on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:09 pm

Also I am making a free site for right now. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good place to go for web site building. I want to upgrade when I am ready to start marketing myself to clients. Right now the free site would be aplce where I can put my pictures that I like.
--
Joanna
Joanna

Postby Kit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 pm

There are a lot of things that go into naming your business. Here is an article I used when I choose site names. I also use it when helping my clients. How To Name Your Business - Article

Hope this helps.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:41 pm

I use a Thesaurus (http://thesaurus.reference.com/) when trying to come up with names. You can type in a word (photo) and get a list of synonyms for it. That should spark some new ideas.

As for free sites... there are lots of options. You could do a blog with blogger or wordpress, you could do a regular site with Yahoo or OfficeLive. There are other options too, just do a Google search for them.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Joanna on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 am

Kit and Mel, thank you for the advice. :D I am still thinking on a name. I want soemthing creative and I am not fealing creative at all in the last few days.

As for a site I know of Tripod and bravehost I think its called. I was hoping someone knew of one they liked over another could reccomend. I want more than just a face page that a blog gives.

Hmm, so much to think about. :?
--
Joanna
Joanna

Postby Kit on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:13 am

face page? I think you lost me there.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Joanna on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:24 pm

Sorry, I ment a blog, gives just 1 page.
--
Joanna
Joanna

Postby Kit on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:39 pm

Hmm...I think you might have some misinformation there. You can see an example of a WordPress blog in my sig (the virtual peach.) Many of us have blogs which could also serve as websites. You might want to click on several blog links in different members' sigs to see a good variety.

I know that many of us, myself included, use the same templates/software to do our blogs and our sites. We just tweak them a little for a different appearance and function.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Joanna on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:41 pm

I will look into it, thanks again!
--
Joanna
Joanna

Postby Kit on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:44 pm

After thought: There are plugins for many of the programs used to build sites (content management systems - CMS) which allow you to add a photo gallery.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Joanna on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:15 pm

I know that Tripod allows you to do that. Not sure about other sites. I want a site that has 4 or 5 pages. I didn't wnat to use Tripod, I know their free sites are lame, for the design I wnat anyway. Yet you can change the HTML if you are any good and I'm not. I can find my way around but it gives me a headache and takes forever.
--
Joanna
Joanna

Postby Mara B on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:44 pm

I know it sounds a little risque, but you could use "Darkroom Delights" LOL You might have people coming to the site thinking they're going to find something else, and then stick around and buy something.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Joanna on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:19 am

Mara B wrote:I know it sounds a little risque, but you could use "Darkroom Delights" LOL You might have people coming to the site thinking they're going to find something else, and then stick around and buy something.

LOL Yes I think it sounds to risque. I don't want to turn anyone off by the name. Thanks for helping though! I want a name that is more to the point of what I am doing yet is cute. Unless I can come up with something soon I am leaning towards Joanna's Photography Studio.
--
Joanna
Joanna

Postby Mara B on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Thank you for realizing I was kidding. It would be different, though. ;) That's about as creative as I get. I hope you find something that you like.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Return to Getting Started