What do you do for long-distance phone service?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

What do you do for long-distance phone service?

Postby Traci on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:50 am

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to handle long-distance calls. What do you use for long-distance calls? Do you use Skype?

Thank you.
Traci
Traci
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mila on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:59 am

Hi Traci, I'm using Skype and I even have several phone numbers from there. Those work great and just like a regular phone number. I find that actually calling through skype is tough because a lot of people still aren't set up on it or if they are they seem to have trouble with getting the speaker or mic to work (this has happened to me as well!) . so it's still not a great main stream solution, but I do use it whenever I can.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Kit on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:59 am

My phone company has unlimited long distance. I recently broke down and purchased that option in a bundle with my internet access and a few other features, all of which are tax deductible as a business expense.

Works great for me since I also do coaching. The fee for coaching helps to cover the expense. ;)

Kit
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:15 am

I use unlimited long distance too. It's expensive but it's the only choice for me since I use satellite internet and Skype doesn't work with it. Another option you might want to consider is just using a cell phone. I know Cingular offers roll-over minutes so if you don't use all of your allotted time one month, it rolls over to the next month so you don't necessarily have to pay for a big package. Not sure if any other companies offer it (Verizon doesn't because that's what we have now and it sucks).
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Nell Taliercio on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:05 pm

I was using vonage, but am switching over to our cable company's phone service. The vonage seems to be causing problems with our internet connection and that's no good ;)
Nell Taliercio
Legit Jobs From Home
http://www.justonlinejobs.com
Nell Taliercio

Postby Audrey on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:47 pm

I use a combination of my cell phone and a calling card that is about 2 cents per minute. Even if I'm on the phone an hour, it's only $1.20 and I'm seldom on the phone that much.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:37 pm

I have the bundle plan with the cable company, (internet, cable tv, phone) and that gives me unlimited long distance nationwide.

In PA we lived in an area that didn't have that option so we had Opex for our long distance and the rates were very good. http://ld.net/products/?product=opex&co ... id=ld.net/ (<-not an affiliate link, just where I got mine at and was happy with it)

We have pay as you go cellphones and right now they're off because we just don't use them at all. I'd much rather talk than type whenever I can. I blame several years of telemarketing and office work with the phone attached to my head all day for that.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

hi

Postby jaz on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:29 pm

l use skype and aphone call card. l fine the call more cheap if l use it on the home phone than mobile
jaz
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Postby DianaWalker on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:58 pm

I use the phone company Telus which also provides my internet service.

I get it in an awesome bundle for $25 per month, unlimited all over North America, which is where I make most of my calls.

Since I also hold teleclasses, and some months I use between 2000 to 4000 minutes long distance, this is very important to me!

Diana
I love helping people go from craving junk food to craving healthy food!

Diana Walker, Cravings Coach
http://www.thecravingscoach.com/blog
http://www.dianarecommends.com
DianaWalker
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mara B on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:54 pm

Just don't sign any contracts! If you sign up for a business line and aren't able to keep it, you'll end up having to pay for the whole time on the contract. We just paid off a bill for long distance on a business phone, over $800 for less than 6 months of service. Read the fine print and be careful.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Keri Wolf on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 pm

I also get a bundle through my cable company, Mediacom.
Keri
Keri Wolf
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby lstric0602 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 am

I have 1,000 min on my cell free long distance. I have free nights and weekends...so if I have to call someone it's a hey I'm going to call you at 9 is that okay? Also if you know the person you are going to call has unlimited long distance tell them to call you on their home phone. Also my hubby doesnt' use his phone that much so when my minutes are close then I use his...also when Nextel was just Nextel they had free incoming calls...so if they call you it's free...! Esp if you have customers that call you...What do you need it for? Interviews? Customers? What kind of business are you in?
lstric0602
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Return to Getting Started