Blogs?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Blogs?

Postby carrief on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:35 pm

Just broaching a topic I am interested in – blogging. I’m pretty new to “business oriented” blogging, and was curious what people think. How do get people to your blog… and keep them coming back? Any suggestions for where to get inspiration, post links, etc? Do you think it's a useful tool even?

Here’s a link to my baby blog, I started it after I quit my job, and I’m hoping to try to put helpful info up for people who may be going through some of the same tough times. I’m hoping to document my progression from “corporate America” to “work at home” freedom! PS - they changed SOMETHING in the layout and now my header image looks stupid but I can't waste time RIGHT NOW so forgive the graphic looking wierd!) Oh, and you can all read my embarrasing "i got scammed" story... but info is info and even though I felt stupid I want EVERYONE to read that so they don't fall for it too.

http://quittersalwaysprosper.blogspot.com/

I'm just REALLY curious if anyone does blog for business reasons... I'm on a few boards and some have LOTS of bloggers, but we all do different types of businesses and such.... so whaddya all think?
~ Carrie

WORK AT HOME UNITED
Your Life, Your Dreams, Your Business.
workathomeunited.com/carrief
carrief
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mila on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:55 am

A lot of people blog for business and I think it just depends on what you feel comfortable with. Personally, I'm not a big blogger and would rather spend time doing PPC campaigns or through other forms of advertising rather than blogging... it really depends on the individual though and some people really enjoy it so it works out well for them.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Audrey on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:31 am

Carrie,

I have two blogs and love them. I have gotten business from them. Blogs are almost like a newsletter, in that you want folks to come and either bookmark or subscribe to your blog so they'll keep coming back. Offer content of value and folks will come :)
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby lwillard on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Carrie,
I also have a blog. I offer Network Marketing training, tips, and resources. I blog on average 3 times per week.

My blog shows up on google in the 1st and second pages for my keywords.

As Audrey said, the key is to offer valued information and keep your content fresh.
lwillard
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Re: Blogs?

Postby cherie27 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:08 am

Content is very important if you have a business-oriented blog.

Keyword is very important and can help to increase your traffic if you target the correct keyword.
cherie27

Postby lindastacy on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:22 pm

A good deal of my website visitors arrive through my blog. My goal is to blog 3 times a week, but admittedly I probably don't make that goal most weeks.

Another tip for making your blog popular is to encourage comments. People who post on your blog will be more likely to come back. Make it easy to post comments, ask questions, and ask for feedback. It's also a good idea to respond to comments.
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby jcallahan on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Whether blogging for a business is a good idea will depend on the individual. If it's something you don't like doing, then it's a horrible idea right? :lol: But as long as you don't mind writing the content or rewriting if you are lucky enough to have PLR you can use for your niche. Then blogging can be a tremendous asset to your business.

My husband and I have our blog about Ebay and Internet Marketing to help promote our "how to get started on ebay" ebook.
jcallahan

Postby Heartnsoul on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:34 pm

I have several blogs and they definately are enjoyable and help promote my business(an myslef for that matter..people have joined my team because they said they liked ME and got to know me a bit better by reading my blogs)
One is just more for fun articles since I love writing and the others are more business specific.

To get people to your blogs, use them in all your online siggys, groups, etc..and also go to other blogs that interest you and make comments.
Heartnsoul

Postby chris on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:16 am

I love to write so blogging is naturally going to put me on to it for personal, semi business, etc.

I have a personal blog, I have a blog about writing and working from home. I use the wordpress blog format as well for building all my other sites because of there plugin (addons) that make it more like a content management system.

I have seen a huge increase of unique visitors to my blogs since I have joined twitter, but haven't estimated the percentage of increase (won't be able to appropriately do so until the end of this month). I also love my forums :D and check my stats weekly...believe it or not about 15-25% of visits come from the forums I visit (depending on how often I post).

Facebook I use and see some traffic but because it is mostly friends and family on there, I can't say it's worked well for me for visits. My personal blog gets a little from them but that's it.

I also comment on other blogs and have seen visits there, I would estimate 50-60% of people visit the site after reading your comments...at least the blogs I visit and especially ones that use comment luv. Again the amount of visits from this depends on how often you comment on others.

That's my 2 cents ;)
Image the Eccentric WAHM Blogger!
chris
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby BethinArkansas on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:45 am

To me, blogs require the same planning as a website. Topic and keyword research are important. Sometimes we must reverse our perspective. Rather than how can I make money promoting (blog idea), we may need to look at how can I blog about (what makes money).

How can I use other people's blogs for content on mine? How can I fully utilize trackbacks both to gain a reputation as a good blogger in the eyes of other bloggers and to generate traffic to my blog?

Blogging is very similar to participating in a forum like this. You help others by linking to their blog and hope they will return the favor by linking back to you.

Topic research: what's hot on magazines.com, amazon, clickbank? Look at other blogs and websites that come up in your keyword search. How are they making money? What are they promoting?

Make sure you have your blog listed in every search engine and web directory you can find. And know that rarely do good things happen overnight (unless you buy a winning lottery ticket). It takes time, but there are many, many techniques you can use to speed the process.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Return to Getting Started