Where to Blog?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Where to Blog?

Postby travelmama on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:02 am

I am working on building a website and want to also start a related blog? Is it best to have a blog outside your site or inside the site? Obviously I can include my blog in the site by duplication but just wonder if having a blog in another location might be more effective for marketing the site? :?
Cara Steele
Naples, FL
travelmama
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Where to Blog?

Postby LorettaOliver on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:19 am

If your blog is inside the site, it will contribute to the relevance and authority of your website. You could place it at www.yourdomain.com/blog (you can name the directory folder just about anything)

My understanding on this is that if you use a directory folder (yourdomain.com/blog) it contributes to the overall relevance, authority, etc.... but if you were to use a subdomain (blog.yourdomain.com) then it is viewed by SE's as a seperate topic. I'm not sure if that's completely correct or not.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby travelmama on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks - I tend to agree and would like to keep things as simple as possible as well!
Cara Steele
Naples, FL
travelmama

Postby KellyM on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 am

I was also wondering about this - having a blog outside of your own website, like on Blogger, for example. What about copying and pasting blog entries from your own websites' blog, onto a Blogger one? I thought I heard that having duplicate material hurts you with search engines, so I haven't attempted it yet. Is that true?
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mel on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:39 am

I agree, having it on your own domain is probably the best for your business. There are times when you may want one separate, like if you're talking about two totally different topics or targeting two different types of people, but that's about it.

Having it hosted on blogger is like having it hosted on a subdomain, it's treated as a different site. As for duplicate content, yes, it would be considered duplicate and the search engines do frown on it. You'd be better off to host it on your own site. Alternately, you could post the article on your site then over on your blogger blog, you could write on a similar topic or do a brief summary of the topic and then link back to your full article.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby KellyM on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Mel wrote:I agree, having it on your own domain is probably the best for your business. There are times when you may want one separate, like if you're talking about two totally different topics or targeting two different types of people, but that's about it.

Having it hosted on blogger is like having it hosted on a subdomain, it's treated as a different site. As for duplicate content, yes, it would be considered duplicate and the search engines do frown on it. You'd be better off to host it on your own site. Alternately, you could post the article on your site then over on your blogger blog, you could write on a similar topic or do a brief summary of the topic and then link back to your full article.

Ah, ok. Thanks for answering my question. Great idea to link back to the full article!
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby BethinArkansas on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:09 am

We've begun an experiment for this very subject. Beth's Brain Injury Blog, my blog, uses Blogger as a subdomain of brain-injury-online.com.

Larry, my husband, is building a new blog using Wordpress as a stand alone site with its own .com address. It will be an outgrowth for one of our most popular sections on another website of ours.

Our stats show that a large majority of people visiting my blog do NOT click through to articles on our two main brain injury sites.

Larry's blog will have article blurbs on the home page that link to the full article right on the blog with additional information being available at one of our websites.

Anyway, as this develops I'll keep you up-to-date on our statistics. We use both Google Analytics and click tracking to let us know what's working and what's not.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby travelmama on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:15 pm

These are all wonderful ideas and concepts and sure have given me some great insight! Thank you!
Cara Steele
Naples, FL
travelmama

Postby garyj85 on Tue May 05, 2009 7:22 am

That's right Kelly, and Google may penalize you for duplicate content. I've done the same thing before and have learned my lessons. I suggest you really got to invest for original and fresh content for your blogs.
FREE MONEY BOOK. Discover how to make $1,000 a day or more working 60 minutes a day or less. Visit http://www.GetFreeMoneyMakingBookNow.com
garyj85

Postby kreddington on Thu May 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Another suggestion that was not mentioned:
One reason you might want to use blogger is because then you are listed in their directory. This might be one reason why people would recommend that idea to you.When someone goes to blogger, they can search for blogs on certain topics. Yours might show up.

I agree with everyone else that it is best to have your blog with your own domain. It does add credibility, etc. What I did to overcome the fact that now my site is not listed on the main blogger or wordpress directory is to add my blog to various blog directory sites. There are many of them. I have gotten traffic from a few. You can search on google to find some.
Kimberly Reddington
President
CereusWomen

Learn the secrets to leveraging your talents and
discover “4 Lifesaving Keys to a Successful
Service Business for Mothers”,
visit http://www.CereusWomen.com
kreddington

Return to Getting Started