Where do I learn how to make graphics?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Where do I learn how to make graphics?

Postby Ribena on Wed May 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Where's the best places to learn how to make graphics for blogging ( buttons, headers, flash badges) I'd like to get a basic knowledge of how to make one and be able to play and see if this is something I'd like to do myself.
Are there special forums I can lurk on or teachers people would recommend?
Thanks
Play-activities is a free and fun educational e-mail for parents of children under 5
http://www.play-activities.com
Visit the play blog for comment and ideas.
http://www.play-activities.com/blog
Ribena
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Where do I learn how to make graphics?

Postby Kit on Thu May 14, 2009 6:21 am

Hi,

There are lots of places where you can learn about making graphics. It's probably best to begin (as I did) with the forum that is associated with the software you are using. Then search for other places which offer tutorials using your chosen software.

When I started out, years ago, all I had to work with was the Paint in my computer's accessory section. From there, I tried a few of the others available and settled on one of the Corel programs, because it was in my budget.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu May 14, 2009 6:56 am

If your budget is really tight, Gimp software is free and comparable to Photoshop or Fireworks. There are also a lot of free tutorials on how to use Gimp out there. It's a good option to play around with to see if it's something you like to do.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Thu May 14, 2009 7:05 am

I agree with Kit. If the graphic software you own offers a forum, that's a great place to start.

I don't work with graphics much but when I bought my first program (Paintshop Pro) years ago, I found a yahoo group that offered weekly lessons. Although they were not creating business-related images, it gave me a good overview of how to use the software, what certain options were used for, and how to add/remove pieces to create various looks.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Susanne on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Have you tried Digital Scrapbook place .com? click "start here" on the top navigation bar and then click on tutorials. They have a great many free tutorials for most of the most popular graphics programs. lynda.com is another option. They have some free tutorials and for $25 a month you can watch an unlimited number of the not-free tutorials. If you're still considering buying a graphics program, I vote for Photoshop Elements v6 or v7 to start with. Look around, it's often on sale for as little as $50. It's the industry standard so it's compatible with almost everything. If you really want to get into professional graphics, you're going to need the full Photoshop suite eventually but it's $700 smackers to buy. You could start learning on PE and move up to the full Photoshop later. Photoshop Elements actually has most of the features of the full program, you're not missing out on a whole lot of functionality unless you're doing high level, professional stuff for top quality print press work. You'd already know a tremendous amount about how it works, you won't have to re-learn anything and you won't have compatibility issues with your old graphics files.
Wishing you success!
Sue
Susanne
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Getting Started