blog

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

blog

Postby ldmmanc on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 am

I need help with starting a recipe blog. I have looked at blogspot. it seems easy.
How do I start? If I print recepies from magazines do I have to say where it came from? Are there any legal issues to be concerened with? .......
ldmmanc
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: blog

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:33 pm

It's always good to include a reference to where the recipe came from unless you're rewriting it and making it something different.

Blogspot is okay to start with, but your blog can be locked or deleted at any time there without notice. Have you considered setting up your own domain?
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby ldmmanc on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:51 pm

I don't know much about how to do that, but wouldn't there be a charge to get my own domain. (which I am not sure exactly what that is)
ldmmanc

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:40 pm

To have your own site you would need to register a domain name ($10 or less per year) and then set up a hosting account, (which you can get for around $5 a month) but then you have total control of everything and a nice custom url instead of something.blogspot.com
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby ldmmanc on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Sound a little confusing to me. Where do I go to get my own domain, and a host.When I do have a site, how do searchers find it?
Can you tell I don't know much about this. I just like cooking, and sharing some tips about different things. I was told I could make extra money if I did the site,and then added ad sense, or something like that.
ldmmanc

Postby Susanne on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:23 pm

I started writing you a fairly long post about what you need to get started on- line, but I realized there's something we need to know first - are you looking to start a business, or do more of a hobby site?
If you want to build up a business with the potential of giving you a live-able income, you'd need your own site. If you're just having some fun sharing recipes, you could go with a free site, blogspot, or wordpress.com.
What's your goal?
Sue
Susanne

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:16 pm

I agree with Sue, if you're looking to just post some recipes and not really looking for an income from your site than you could safely go with blogspot or wordpress free options. If you want to have advertisers and affiliate links and possible income then you'd want your own domain.

IBM actually offers inexpensive domains etc... http://www.internetbasedmomshosting.com/
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby ldmmanc on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:52 am

I am, looking to make some money on it. Not a total living , but some extra cash would be a great help. last year I wanted to do it to make a living, that didn't seem doable, so I took a part time job. Looking at the future. I would like it to make what I am making with my part time job, so I can stay home.
I have been looking at recipe sites since my last post......WOW ....there are a lot of them, and some are very fancy. I get the feeling that, I won't have a chance against these other sites. How will anyone find mine?
I don't know if I answered your question totally, but , If I start out with wordpress or blogspot to see how it goes..could I get an affliate from that. Also, can other people take the receipes from my site and copy them to their site? Sorry..for askings so many questions, but there is so much I don't know about this stuff. Maybe there is a book that would help me.
ldmmanc

Postby LorettaOliver on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 am

This might be of some help for you....
http://justaddsweat.com/blog-recipe.php
It's an ebook about starting a recipe blog.

Recipe blogs are some of the most popular blogs on the web. I've made and sold quite a few of them -lol- they're fun to make, they're fun to write, they're just plain fun ;)

I think one of the things you have to really work on when you do a recipe or food blog is work on building community, more than you might with a general topic blog. Visit other food blogs and comment frequently, etc... Other sites might blog about your recipes that you post and include a link back to you.

I do see a lot of food and recipe blogs that are built on blogspot, so in this case I don't want to say that it can't be done. I just think if you start out on your own domain it will save you some headaches later down the road when your blog is super popular for all your great recipes and you want your own hosting ;)

Just start out with a list of pros and cons and see which way you want to go before you start. I would hate to see you put a ton of work in on building community and links on a blogspot blog only to want to move it 6 months or a year from now and have to start all over again getting new links etc....
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Susanne on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:28 pm

I just had a thought, I should have mentioned this before. You said a lot of people have recipe blogs and how can you stand out from the crowd. How about specializing? What if you did recipes for ADHD kids? or for diabetics? or for low gluten diets? or quick easy crock pot meals for busy moms? Those are just ideas, I would specialize in something you know something about.

You can check the popularity of different ideas by going to either https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal or http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/ and enter your ideas into the keyword box. These are both free tools. The results will show you how many people are searching for your term.

Just as an example, I typed chili bean recipe into the adwords google keyword tool. Over 8000 people searched for that term last month. Yet if you do a regular Google search for "chili bean recipe" there are only 1620 sites with that same term. So the search volume is fairly high and the competition is very low. Not a bad keyword term to put on a recipe site!
Sue
Susanne

Postby ldmmanc on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Ok, so where do I go to get my own domain?
ldmmanc

Postby Kit on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:59 am

Go to http://internetbasedmoms.com/ , the home page of this site.In the sidebar on the left, look under Our Services to find what you need.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby ldmmanc on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I really don't want to go with site-build right now. I would like to start with something less expensive.
ldmmanc

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:55 pm

I think Kit was referring to the domain names and hosting service .. without SBI which you will find at http://www.internetbasedmomshosting.com/

Hope that helps :)
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby ldmmanc on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Would that be the same as any other hosting site?
ldmmanc

Next

Return to Getting Started