Back to School Question

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

Back to School Question

Postby Annette Elton on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:36 am

Hi, I'm new to the message board but not to the site. My name is Annette Elton and I'm a full time WAHM. My business is copywriting, which I started full time about two years ago. (I dabbled as a part time copywriter for too many years to count)

I have two girls, one is starting Junior High tomorrow, :shock: the other is in third grade. I love back to school time because it means that my days are more structured and I am more productive.

I'm wondering if anyone modifies their business hours once school starts again and how your organization changes.

Thanks!
Annette Elton
Staff Writer

Postby Kit on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:26 pm

Heeeeeey Annette!

Nice to see you posting. ;) That's a good question. When my munchkin was still living at home, I would sleep during the time he was at school, get up before he got home, help with homework and get him settled in for the night. After he went to bed, I had loads of quiet time in which to work. Then after I got him off to school, I'd snooze again.

From what I understand, many moms do it the other way around. You would know I'd do it backwards. lol I think it's just whatever works for you.

K
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mara B on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:52 pm

Since I homeschool, my schedule is pretty much the same year-round. Of course, when the kids are supposed to be doing schoolwork and there's much more dawdling going on, it's more stressful for me, but that's about it.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mila on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Annette! :-)

I'm torn on this one, because back to school means more structure and actual time to work... but then it also means being dressed and out of the house at a certain time each day, homework, lunches, activities and on and on.

But all in all, it definitely makes a huge difference to my work day and by the end of 6 weeks summer break I think we're all ready for a break from each other!

Today I actually organized myself and wrote a plan to carry me till the end of the year. It may change, as things often do, but at least I feel some sense of structure and plan. I've also committed to only working while the kids are in school and in the evening once they're in bed. Working around a 10, 5 and 4 year old is not fun so I don't even attempt it anymore.

Good luck to your girls on the first day of school!
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Mel on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:39 pm

As weird as it may sound, I used to get a lot more done while trying to homeschool my kids and work from home. I don't know why but I seem to focus better when I know my family is home and safe.

My daughter has gone back to public school now and is a freshman this year. Ever since school started it's been non stop go-go-go it seems. Shopping for this, ballgames here, meetings there... only 3 weeks into the school year and I'm exhausted!

Overall though I've always tried to adjust my schedule to meet the kids' because if I didn't, I ended up distracted and grumpy.

My hours now start when DD loads the bus and ends about 15 minutes before she gets home, then I'll work a short while in the evening after homework, dinner and such is done.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby tishialee on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:00 am

I think it's easier to accomplish more during the school year during the day while my son is in school than during the summer. Although my son is 8 (9 next month) and can entertain himself alot during the summer it still is easier during the school year, not to mention I don't feel 'guilty' working while he is in school where as during the summer I find myself feeling guilty for working all the time.

Anyways - I also find that the school year can be a distraction because my son is getting older and getting involved in more things. Last year it was bowling for like 12 weeks every Monday for 2 hours and then after bowling it was wrestling & he practiced ever Monday & Wednesday for about 1 1/2 hours and then tournaments every weekend for about 2 months.

So I guess it can be hard to manage my time either way - summer or school - because there is always something going on that.
Tishia Lee
Specializing in Mp3 Transcription
http://www.tishiasavestime.com
tishialee

Postby allmylovecrafts on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:35 pm

I homeschool my only daughter at home, she is 13. She does my surfing, welcome emails, deletes my spam, helps in the live help & conference room. So, I would be really swamped with out her!!
We do school work everyday - even if it is just on the computer.
Sheryl Loch ~ allmylovecrafts
allmylovecrafts
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby bornagingurl on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:20 pm

I homeschool also and my schedule actually gets harder for me. I have to be right there with my new Kindergarten baby so I can't send them off to do their school work. I enjoy my summer!!!

Tina :)
bornagingurl

Postby Mara B on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:13 pm

It's nice to see other homeschoolers on the forum! I know that ALL WAHMs have challenges, but I think we have an extra one. lol
Mara B

Postby Keri Wolf on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:05 am

This is the first year that my daughter has gone to school every day, all day. I still have my son at home who is 2, but he has been going to a day care 12 hours a week. It has been a big stress reliever to have my daughter in school and my son going to day care. It was getting quite hard to juggle everything. So, I would have to say that I get to work more during the school year.
Keri
Keri Wolf
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby beachmom on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:13 am

Wow there are a lot of homeschoolers!! We homeschool, as well.
The way it changes for me is during our school hours I am not really getting anything done as far as my work. Unless they are completing something on their own and I have a few minutes to check mail, etc.

I have to say it's a big balancing act sometimes. Also, we are out a lot at co-op's, extra curricular things, etc, so I really have to make an actual "work time" for myself and stick to it in order for everything to get done.
beachmom

Postby Annette Elton on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:42 pm

I cannot imagine how all of you wonderful homeschool moms do it. You're amazing. I have considered homeschooling my girls but I am just not confident that I could give them what they need and maintain my sanity. I'm sure I could learn a lot from you. :D
Annette Elton
Staff Writer

Postby Mara B on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Annette, who said anything about homeschooling moms maintaining sanity?! I think that's part of the benefit of homeschooling, you have an excuse for being a little bit off. ;) :lol:

Seriously, it does take a little more work, but it's definitely been worth it for us. If you have any homeschooling questions, don't hesitate to contact me by PM. I'll answer what I can, and I'll be the other moms would be willing to do the same.
Mara B

Return to Home and Family