Tip: Cleaning Kitchen Countertops

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

Tip: Cleaning Kitchen Countertops

Postby ravish30 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 am

Kitchen Counter Tops

Clean the countertop with water and a little dishwashing liquid soap after each use. If you've been preparing raw chicken or other raw meats on the countertop, clean and then apply unscented chlorine bleach diluted in water to the surface to disinfect it. You can also use an all-purpose spray cleaner that contains chlorine bleach. Rinse thoroughly and let air dry.
ravish30
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Re: Tip: Cleaning Kitchen Countertops

Postby Steforei on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:28 am

I just wanted to bring up the issue of chemicals in our household cleaners, particularly when they are used on or near food preparation surfaces. Chlorine bleach has a huge environmental impact as well as a human health impact. Coming in contact with chlorine bleach whether by ingesting, touching, or inhaling the fumes can be dangerous for humans and pets. Eye and skin irritation, respiratory tract irritation are just a few side effects from using or coming in contact with bleach. We need to be especially careful if there are small children in the house. Chlorine bleach is also extremely dangerous if mixed with other chemicals found in the home, like ammonia and acids (window cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners, cat litter boxes, and even human urine).

I use a natural disinfectant to clean in my kitchen: counters, cutting boards, baby's high chair tray. Because it does not use any harsh chemicals I don't have to worry about residue ending up in contact with food or hands. The eco-friendly cleaner I use now kills 99.9% of germs without using chemicals like bleach. There are great, easy to find sources on the market if that is something a family is concerned about.
Stefanie Stricker
Stefanie@wedeliverwellness.com
http://www.EcoWellnessTeam.com
Google Groups: Work for Wellness
Steforei
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby ravish30 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:32 am

If its properly rinses there are no issues.

I believe in using chemical cleaners as they disinfect and kill 99.9% of germs
ravish30
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Steforei on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I used to use chemical cleaners, too. For many years. I have switched, though, and the eco-friendly ones work just as well. Some even better. And, as I mentioned, the one I use also kills 99.9% of germs. In fact, the one I use was the first botanical disinfectant approved by the U.S. EPA. It works with natural herbs and citrus solvents so it will kill all the typical bacteria including HIV-1. It is approved by the EPA for use in day cares, doctor's offices and on children's toys.

I thought it was worth mentioning for people on these message boards who may be sensitive to traditional cleaners and those who wish to eliminate chemicals from their homes. I have 3 small kids, so believe me, if it didn't disinfect, I would not use it.

Of course, it's all a personal choice. I merely meant to present an alternate option.
Stefanie Stricker
Stefanie@wedeliverwellness.com
http://www.EcoWellnessTeam.com
Google Groups: Work for Wellness
Steforei

Postby femmes07 on Sat May 30, 2009 4:51 am

Thank you girls for sharing!!! Guess Chlorine bleach is more practical to use since it is very economical... But also I believe that botanical disinfectant is more effective way to clean the households... :wink:
femmes07

Postby MargieL on Sun May 31, 2009 9:57 am

There are plenty of eco-friendly cleaners out there that work just as well or better then bleach, just take time to ready the labels. I have 5 cats and 2 dogs and make sure what I use will not effect them in any way.
MargieL

Return to Home and Family