Country Cornbread

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

Country Cornbread

Postby tam2005 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Country Cornbread

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 tbsp. butter melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9-or 10-inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed.

Scrape into the buttered pan, smooth the surface, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan set on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.

Enjoy! ;)

More recipes can be found Free Recipes-Cooking At Home
tam2005
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Re: Country Cornbread

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:08 pm

We love cornbread. I usually make a pan or a batch of cornbread muffins at least once a week. I admit it though, I'm a cheater, my cornbread usually comes from a mix and I stock up on them when they're 10 for $10 at the grocery store.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby tam2005 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm

All of us cheat at times. But this recipe is really super easy. The sugar makes all the difference. :wink:
tam2005
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby BethinArkansas on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Loretta, I sort of cheat too. Well, I guess you could say I really, really cheat since Larry is the one who cooks...but that's beside the point.

We have a black iron skillet that belonged to Larry's grandmother and is over 100 years old. I sometimes think you could just empty a cabinet of stuff into it and a wonderful meal would come out.

Tam, he makes a lower calorie version by using Egg Beaters in place of eggs and no sugar or butter. He sometimes uses skim milk and I've known him to simply use water instead of milk.

He begins by heating a little bit of vegetable oil in the skillet on the stove top before pouring in the batter, then pretty much follows your oven instructions exactly.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Mel on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:41 am

I totally agree, an old cast iron skillet can turn a ok meal into a great one. I don't know if it's an association from my childhood or if it really does make the food taste better.

We're still trying to age our cast iron skillet but my mom inherited one from my great grandma and that's what she uses to make cornbread. She warms a little oil and then sprinkles a thin layer of dry corn meal on the bottom, lets it cook for a minute or two, then pours the batter in and follows similar oven instructions. Adding the dry cornmeal makes a nice crispy crust.

Grandma always used buttermilk instead of regular, then as an after-dinner snack, we'd have a glass of milk with cornbread soaked in it. My kids gagged when they tried but I always thought it was a treat to go to g'ma's house and eat cornbread and milk.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Return to Home and Family