Sunday Dinners with the *whole* Family

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

Sunday Dinners with the *whole* Family

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:12 am

This is a tradition we used to have that sort of got broken up when everyone was living so far apart. We're starting over this weekend now that my BIL and his family live about two blocks away, and my MIL & FIL are only about 15 minutes away.

I'm curious if anyone else out there gets together with the family once a week or even every other week ... once a month maybe, and does a big dinner and hangs out. I'd love to hear about what your family does, maybe we can brainstorm some ideas to keep the get together from growing stale and the kids getting bored etc...

We're going to alternate host places, this weekend is at my BIL's, next weekend is at my house, and so on. Whoever is hosting cooks the main dish and one side, then someone brings an additional side dish, and someone brings dessert. I'm in charge of dessert this week. No idea what I'm going to make yet -lol- I might just keep it simple and make a jell-o poke cake.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Re: Sunday Dinners with the *whole* Family

Postby KellyM on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 am

Other than holidays and birthdays, we don't really have any sort of get-togethers scheduled. We really should, though. I start missing my family when I haven't seen them for a while.

Do you guys do themed dinners? Like, Italian Night, Mexican Night, Indian Night, etc. You could do Italian/Mexican/Indian music and decorations, maybe teach the kids stuff about those cultures. That could keep it different and fun for everyone, maybe.

And I've never heard of a Jello Poke Cake, so I googled it...looks pretty! Does the texture come out...Jello-y? I think I'm going to have to try it someday.
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:22 am

My friend Jenn blogged about the Jello Poke cake once and I was intrigued, so I had to try it. It has a nice moist cake texture, and lots of flavors peeking through. It is really a unique cake. And the whipped cream topping makes the whole thing feel fluffy.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby BethinArkansas on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:04 pm

We have two "whole" families. With my parents, brothers, children, nieces and nephews, it's twice a year.

With our two boys and their "connections", it's usually like we all meet at one of our grandson's ball games and have lunch or dinner afterward...sometimes!

We do have dinner weekly (or, almost weekly) with our youngest, unmarried son.

Both of our children travel a lot, all over the US and several foreign countries, in their businesses and sometimes they're not home on a weekly basis.

But...I certainly wish we could do what you're doing.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Well, technically it's not hubby's *whole* family, I'm a big fat liar butt. :lol: Hubby's oldest brother lives in Chicago with his wife and two boys. We get together with them once or twice a year as well. But, we are getting together with everyone who lives in the same state as us -lol-
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby femmes07 on Sat May 30, 2009 4:19 am

It's a good idea to have Sunday Dinners with the whole family, but i'm afraid I can not... I missed my family a lot, i mean my brother and sisters but they're living far behind they're in Oklahoma and I'm in Tennessee... and I got no time, I'm busy with my job... We just throw some phone calls with each other and that's all... Hmm... But I'm plannin' to visit them On July 4th... :wink:
femmes07
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Home and Family