Cast Iron Skillet Care?

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

Cast Iron Skillet Care?

Postby KellyM on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:36 am

There was some talk in the Cornbread thread about baking it in a cast iron skillet, and I'd love to try it, but I'm having trouble with the seasoning on mine. I've only had it for a few months, but I just can't get a good season it. There's always a gray circle in the middle, right where the burner sits on the other side. I've tried reseasoning with Crisco, but it just doesn't work well on that one spot.

I want a shiny, smooth, even black surface, darnit! What am I doing wrong?

Also, if anyone would like to share more cast iron care and usage tips or recipes, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Re: Cast Iron Skillet Care?

Postby Mel on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:10 am

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it just takes time to get them to season properly. When I bought my first one, I tried every trick in the book to speed up the process ...even going so far as to lube it up and toss it into a firepit that we used one weekend when we had a bonfire. It still came out about the same.

My mom does hers this way:
Oil it well - sides too
Sprinkle it with salt
Put it in the oven at about 250* for an hour or so
Turn oven off and leave it until it has cooled down
Wipe out the skillet but DON'T wash it!

After each use, wash with water only - no soap. Dry immediately and if necessary, using a paper towel, wipe it down with a little oil. She doesn't have to oil it every time, just when it starts getting the dry look.

I've had to re-season mine several times because my kids forgot and used soap on the skillet. :roll:
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby chris on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:18 am

I have had mine for hmmmm I think 7 years...I still haven't attempted to season it...shame on me as I love things cooked in a skillet! My dad uses his often since I was a little tike my dad.

I have written down how Mels mom has done hers, think that is similar to how my dad told me too but he never wrote it down and dare not tell him I never did mine :oops: and maybe just maybe this will be it's year LMAO
Image the Eccentric WAHM Blogger!
chris
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby KellyM on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:31 pm

I've never heard of putting salt in it before seasoning it in the oven. What does that do?
KellyM
Medical Transcription
KellyM

Postby Mel on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:10 am

You know, I've never asked what the salt does for it but next time I talk to her, I'll try to remember.

There are probably many ways to season it. My friend used to wipe hers down with mineral oil and bake it at a higher temp like around 400-450 degrees. I think the main thing is to build up that baked-in oil layer which is what makes it non-stick and taste better. ----> Obviously, I'm from the south since I think built-up oil makes food taste better. :lol:
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby KellyM on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:02 am

Mineral oil is another new one for me. I'll have to try that.

My skillet is looking better after a couple of pounds of bacon, though. Good excuse to cook more bacon! :D
KellyM
Medical Transcription
KellyM

Return to Home and Family