OMG--Swine flu!

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

OMG--Swine flu!

Postby anniekatt on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I know it is a minsnomer, but "swine flu" is definitely the topic of the day. Am watching CNN as I type this and am feeling jittery. I happen to live in Southern California--close to the border, oh my!

Where are you located and how is it impacting your state as far as news reports or other stats?
I'm not an alarmist, but it does give enough cause for concern...

Annie
http://www.workathomesos.com
Directory of authentic no fee work from home jobs
anniekatt
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: OMG--Swine flu!

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri May 01, 2009 8:03 am

I'm not worried at this point. I think a lot of media stations are over-hyping the situation. I know one news station reported yesterday that somewhere around 250 people had died already from the "swine flu".... and that was a mis-report. I was more like less than 10 confirmed cases of the "swine flu" related death.

Did you know that around 35,000 people every single year die from getting the flu in the United States? That's the regular ordinary flu that we deal with every year. The flu that you may have had just a few months ago during the annual flu season.

This flu strain is no where near pandemic status yet, and it has a long way to go before it even comes close to that.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby BethinArkansas on Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 am

See, they've already starting calling it by another name, H1N1 or something like that. I'm quite sure the powers that be did not want to hurt the pork industry like the tomato industry was devasted not too long ago. Of course, "swine" flu has nothing to do with the meat products we eat but you know how stories fly around the Internet.

Next week there might be three deaths attributed to seeing a wild hog on television.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby LorettaOliver on Sun May 03, 2009 1:01 pm

BethinArkansas wrote:Next week there might be three deaths attributed to seeing a wild hog on television.

ROFLOL :lol:

It's hard not to laugh when I see the rumors and inconsistencies flying around the internet all day long. Some of the things that have been said on Twitter .... heck, some of the things that have been said on television are just of the most absurd nature. We are a nation of fear, and this is the most recent reason to be afraid it seems.

That's not to say that this is not a real threat... it is. It's definitely something to take seriously, and be careful with, as is any disease! I just think the media is really blowing this one out of proportion fast.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby KellyM on Mon May 04, 2009 1:01 am

I live in Texas, in a border town. There have been a couple of confirmed cases in the city just across the border from us. I'm not too worried about it, although I am being more careful about germs and stuff. I'm kind of a germaphobe, anyway.

The other day when I went to Blockbuster to rent movies, I noticed the employees were wiping each returned DVD case with those Clorox wipes. I wish they'd do that all the time. :)
KellyM
Medical Transcription
http://profile.myspace.com/431761719
KellyM
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon May 04, 2009 7:51 am

KellyM wrote:The other day when I went to Blockbuster to rent movies, I noticed the employees were wiping each returned DVD case with those Clorox wipes. I wish they'd do that all the time. :)

I have to admit I never even though about how many people have touched my DVD case, how many kids put it in their mouth, how many times it was dropped on the ground.... until you said that just now!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby babynursery on Thu May 21, 2009 10:26 pm

I am in Canada and it does make me a bit nervous, mostly for my daughter. She is 18 months. I know that if either my husband or I got it we could get an anti-viral prescription, but I don't know what they can do for a toddler. That said, I know the chances of getting it at this point are very low.
Searching for unique and modern baby nursery decoration?
babynursery

Postby femmes07 on Sat May 30, 2009 3:39 am

Swine flu or the "KILLER FLU"... It's been on the news, everyone's scared that they might have get it somewhere, But i'm more scared with the price of the medicines... :cry:
femmes07

Postby supersandyb on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:44 pm

I also live in SoCal so I understand your concern! I was really freaked out about it at first but I decided not to live in fear and just to take proper precautions, like washing hands when I go out, not letting the little one pick up things off the ground, not going into large crowds, etc. If they make a vaccine my family will likely get vaccinated as a precaution. I will keep my ears open in case WHO has anything else to say about it.
supersandyb

Return to Home and Family