Keeping the house clean?

Your area for all non-business topics. Discuss home, family, friends, recipes, frugal tips, parenting, etc.

Re: Keeping the house clean?

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:02 pm

I let it get messy :lol:
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:20 pm

LorettaOliver wrote:I let it get messy :lol:

I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

I used to be a total white-glove clean freak, but over the years, I've forced myself to accept that sometimes things can't be perfect and nobody (other than me) really expects it to be.

What I do for both business and home is to make time for the most important things and let the rest go until I have extra time to tend to them.

Also, everyone in the family is expected to help out - daily. When my kids were small, we set up a chore chart and everyone (DH & I included) had certain chores every day. It started out with them picking up toys, clothes, feeding the animals, etc. As they got older, we taught them how to do new things like laundry, cooking, mowing, etc. Today, everyone does their own laundry, cleans their own rooms, etc. They all know how to cook, clean the entire house, manage all yard duties, etc. By everyone helping out, it makes a lot less work for me.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:35 pm

What Mel said about expectations is so very true.

I used to antagonize over the tiniest little things, unlfolded laundry etc.... It came from living in section 8 housing where we were subject to monthly inspections of our homes and they would "write us up" for things they considered violations like laundry not put away, dishes not washed, etc... it was totally stressful. Then I realized they were insane! :lol:

No one expects my house full of kids and furry critters to be spotless when both hubby and I work full time hours. It's just not worth ripping my hair out over. It was only me that was making myself crazy with guilt over the messy on the coffee table.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:10 am

Yep. When I was younger, I used to worry about what other people thought. I didn't want anyone to judge me by the way I did things, the way my house looked, etc. Over the years, I've realized how silly that is and how much time I wasted on the stress of it all.

Now that those crazy thoughts are behind me, life is so much easier. These days, people can accept me for who I am or not, either way is ok with me. If you come to my house, you can expect to see three dogs, a cat and two kids (more if they have friends over) and the mess that goes with them. And while, we clean up daily, there's no guarantee that it will be clean when you come. If those terms are ok with you, you're welcome to visit any time, and if they're not ok, I totally understand and would be happy to take your phone call instead. :wink:

Life is too short and there are too many important things to worry about without having the added stress of trying to keep everything perfect.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby koreakids on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 pm

I try to do simple things to keep the house clean without going insane.

Laundry - wash it through out the week as I can. I fold it while watching The Bachelorette once a week. I'm in big trouble when that show is over! (LOL)

Picking up the house - I keep a large basket, bag or tub and go around the house tossing things into it. It minimizes my movements - i.e. I'm not picking one thing up and putting it away then coming back for the next. Also then the kids can pick out their stuff from the tub and put them away (although mine are 4, 3 and 1 so they don't do that too much).

Cooking - I do mostly simple meals in the crockpot so that I minimize my time in the kitchen and maximize it on my business. Plus since I go back and forth from the computer to the kitchen so much, things tend to get burnt if it's not in the crockpot! I posted some of my simple recipes here last week.

Deep cleaning - I either do at night after the kids are in bed or when company comes (i.e. not very often). Once the kids are down I'll take 1/2 hour to an hour to do some basic cleaning, then I watch tv as down time and head to bed.

I can't stand a dirty house but I've learned that there are ways keep things decent enough for sanity purposes without spending all my time cleaning.
Serene, Caley & Elisha's mom works from home - you can too!! Request an interview today! http://www.myhomecareer.org
koreakids
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby MargieL on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 am

I agree with Mel.

I use to worry about everything being in its place, etc....Drove my son and cats crazy!

Now adays my cats are much happier. I have moved all my breakables to where they can't knock them down. I run the dust mop once a day and leave the cat and dog toys where they are. Hey at least I don't have to worry about my son's toys, he is 29!

Life is to short to worry about a perfect home.

I enjoy my work, pets, gardening, etc.....than clean!

Much happier now!
MargieL
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Home and Family