What is the effect of WEBRINGS on SEO?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Postby Sharon & Roy on Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:32 am

taracrooks wrote:Thanks!

I sent this on to my web designer. She'll get it done in the next two days so I think we'll make it! :)

So...here's my next question. I have had these links on www.TheCandleCoop.com for two years and never had a problem. They aren't on a page called www.thecandlecoop.com/mompack.html though...they are on a page www.thecandlecoop.com/HenHouse.htm is that why they haven't been noticed?

Hi Tara,

Wish we could give you a definitive answer, but we can't, so the best answer to this question is that we have no answer for this question. <WINK>

taracrooks wrote:When we redo our site I am going to do the same as I have done with Advertising Moms but just curious as to why nothing ever happened on The Coop. Did I just get lucky?

Well, lucky, maybe, but from our perspective luck has nothing to do with this.

You see, Tara, this type of spam may go undetected for some time and then all of a sudden the consequences of banishment may take place just like that.

While the search engines aren't perfect (yet) when it comes to detecting certain kinds of spam in all cases, we advise and teach that it is no reason to try to take advantage of the search engines by incorporating those very techniques, because it will more than likely be just a matter of time before these techniques are dealt with.

In addition to this aspect there is always the aspect of how your possible customers and clients will view you and your business ethics. The last thing you want others to perceive about you and your business is that you cross the line when it comes to SEO, as that would lead them to think about how far you will go in other areas.

Believe us when we say that it isn't difficult to tarnish or ruin your Online reputation these days, so we advise everyone to strong rethink their position when they want to spam the search engines even if they (or others) haven't been caught in years.

The main issue at stake is perception. How your peers and your prospects will perceive you.

Happy SEOing And We'll See You At The Top!

Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero
Sharon and Roy Montero - FREE Consultation 760-378-2539 (Pacific Time)
Want To Learn All About Search Engine Optimization? We Teach A 6 Week
Online SEO Class - Learn SEO The Write Way - There Is So Much More To
SEO Than Just Meta Tags ::: http://www.iwon.net/seo/class-description/
Sharon & Roy
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Lucky?

Postby taracrooks on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:02 pm

Sharon and Roy,
Perhaps I sent that question the wrong way. I didn't mean did I get lucky as in I was going to keep challenging the system..what I meant was did I get lucky it wasn't caught? As are most of the sites out there that still have this up.
I didn't do this intentionally I just read the instructions just like tons of other moms out there. I apparently didn't read them entirely b/c I ended up not naming it mompack.html so I guess that might have saved my butt! LOL
Anyway....until Donna brought up the fact that she thought webrings were bad and named "mompack" a link farm I didn't even know what the heck any of this was. I do think that this is the intention of MOST of the moms out there...they just don't know that it is spam! I would have had NO IDEA!
I know now! Believe me it will be taken care of...(and it is already on AdvertisingMoms)....
I hope I didn't give the perception that I didn't care or that I was going to push the envelope and continue to spam. That is not my intentions at all. Now that I know what the situation is I intend to correct it.
Thanks for your advice on this situation. You saved me a ton of time and also kept me out of trouble!

ps. I did change the wording on our site to reflect what you sent. I hope this keeps other moms out of trouble!
Tara E Crooks, Proud military wife and WAHM!
$5.00 gets you one MONTH rotation on EVERY PAGE of www.advertisingmoms.com AND rotation on 25 member HOME PAGES!
http://www.AdvertisingMoms.com/buttonswap.html

New! NO STARTUP COST! Start your candle business today!
http://www.TheCandleCoop.com/

Visit our family webpage http://www.WeRCrooks.com/
taracrooks

Postby Sharon & Roy on Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:48 pm

taracrooks wrote:Sharon and Roy,
Perhaps I sent that question the wrong way. I didn't mean did I get lucky as in I was going to keep challenging the system..what I meant was did I get lucky it wasn't caught?

Hi Tara,

Actually, it appears now that we may have replied in the wrong way.

Yes, we understood perfectly that you were asking if you were "lucky" that your pages were not banned.

We simply added the extra comments more so for those who will read this thread than we did for you, as we're pretty convinced that you realize all that now and you had no intentions of keeping your pages INCLUDED in the search engine's databases.

We apologize for not making this more clear for you!

taracrooks wrote:As are most of the sites out there that still have this up.

I didn't do this intentionally I just read the instructions just like tons of other moms out there. I apparently didn't read them entirely b/c I ended up not naming it mompack.html so I guess that might have saved my butt! LOL

Anyway....until Donna brought up the fact that she thought webrings were bad and named "mompack" a link farm I didn't even know what the heck any of this was. I do think that this is the intention of MOST of the moms out there...they just don't know that it is spam! I would have had NO IDEA!

Tara, we completely agree with you, that most site owners/Webmasters really don't know that such a "linking scheme" is a Link Farm and therefore not compliant with search engine guidelines and as such, susceptible to banishment.

That's the good news. The bad news is that ignorance is no excuse. That is why we attempt to inform site owners of their "accidental spamming" when we come across it.

taracrooks wrote:I know now! Believe me it will be taken care of...(and it is already on AdvertisingMoms)....

Oh, YES, we DO believe you!

taracrooks wrote:I hope I didn't give the perception that I didn't care or that I was going to push the envelope and continue to spam. That is not my intentions at all. Now that I know what the situation is I intend to correct it.

Thanks for your advice on this situation. You saved me a ton of time and also kept me out of trouble!

Tara, you are most welcome, and no, you NEVER gave us the perception that you didn't care or that you were going to push the envelope, not in the least!

taracrooks wrote:ps. I did change the wording on our site to reflect what you sent. I hope this keeps other moms out of trouble!

Sounds GREAT, and it sure will keep them out of trouble!

Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero
Sharon and Roy Montero - FREE Consultation 760-378-2539 (Pacific Time)
Want To Learn All About Search Engine Optimization? We Teach A 6 Week
Online SEO Class - Learn SEO The Write Way - There Is So Much More To
SEO Than Just Meta Tags ::: http://www.iwon.net/seo/class-description/
Sharon & Roy

Thanks

Postby taracrooks on Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:51 pm

Thanks Sharon and Roy! :)
I just didn't want you to think I was asking and then still going to leave it all up like that!
Great! I appreciate your help VERY MUCH!
Tara E Crooks, Proud military wife and WAHM!
$5.00 gets you one MONTH rotation on EVERY PAGE of www.advertisingmoms.com AND rotation on 25 member HOME PAGES!
http://www.AdvertisingMoms.com/buttonswap.html

New! NO STARTUP COST! Start your candle business today!
http://www.TheCandleCoop.com/

Visit our family webpage http://www.WeRCrooks.com/
taracrooks

Previous

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development