Professional Organizations

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Professional Organizations

Postby Traci on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Do you belong to any professional organizations such as IVAA?
Traci
Traci
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mel on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:27 pm

Not yet but will be joining the IVAA in January
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Nell Taliercio on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:46 pm

Mel, could you share with everybody why you're going to join? I'm sure a lot of VA's wonder if it's necessary to join an organization in order to be successful and if not, what benefits are there for joining...in your professional - kick butt VA opinion? :wink:
Nell Taliercio
Legit Jobs From Home
http://www.justonlinejobs.com
Nell Taliercio

Postby Mel on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:13 pm

Well... my "professional kick-butt opinion" is that you don't have to belong to any organization in order to be successful. Many of the most successful VAs today were successful before the organizations even developed so that should tell you something.

However, I do think it's a great way to network with others in your field. It's also a good way to keep up with the industry news, learn new ways of doing your job, working with clients, etc. There's also a potential to pick up work since many VAs will subcontract to other members. With the IVAA in particular there is a private message group where you can ask questions and get help with things you're struggling with whether it's getting your business started, how to do a particular task, how to handle a bad customer, how to collect from someone who doesn't pay or whatever the case may be.

Anyway... the main reason I'm joining is to get to know my fellow VAs and also to keep up with the latest industry news.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby india on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Well... my "professional kick-butt opinion" is that you don't have to belong to any organization in order to be successful. Many of the most successful VAs today were successful before the organizations even developed so that should tell you something.

I agree 100% with this. There are few things a VA should consider if they do decide to join a VA organization or association.

You should look into the benefits of each one, the costs associated with each one, and other Virtual Assistants – especially any who are located closely to you – who also belong. Then, make a decision based on which organization provides the benefits you are looking for, which organization you can afford and which one will allow both national/international and local networking opportunities for you.
india
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:40 pm

I've been looking into this lately since VA work is my main focus this year. I was wondering what other organizations there might be that are well known?

Is there a list of reliable organizations somewhere?
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Mara B on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:43 am

As someone who works online, I never really thought about joining a professional organization. I don't know why, though. If I had a brick and mortar company, I would probably join the local Chamber or business association. Good question, I'll have to give it some more thought.
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Re: Professional Organizations

Postby janice2009 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks for sharing the link Mel, I find it truly useful because I'm planning to be one. Hope I would :D
Last edited by Kit on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: * Note: Promotional link removed
janice2009
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development