Main Keyword in Domain Name-Necessary?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Main Keyword in Domain Name-Necessary?

Postby travelmama on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:20 am

I am working on a new website and am torn about the domain name. I have done some research about whether the domain name needs to incorporate the main keyword or not. The way I understand it, the domain name is not top priority for the search engine spiders, but wanted your opinions also!

Do you think it is absolutely necessary that the domain name have the main keyword in it?
Cara Steele
Naples, FL
travelmama
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Audrey on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:27 am

Cara,

I've only owned a few websites over the years and those that were put up with the intent of making money, I always had a keyword in the URL. I know others have put up many websites and it will be interesting to hear their answers.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby LorettaOliver on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 am

There is always much debate over this. Lately the majority seems to agree that something "brandable" is the best way to go whether its got your keyword in it or not.

I think you should go with what fits your feeling for the site you have in mind. Which domain names is the one you feel most comfortable with and sounds the best for your project.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby lwillard on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 am

Cara,

Content is key with web pages. As long as you have original and informative content, the SE's will find you. Above all, I always go with my passion and what I believe in. If you are truly passionate about a domain name, go with it and then fill your site with content, content, content. :D
lwillard
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby icelink on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:25 am

Currently, having your keyword in your domain name is only somewhat effective for ranking in Google, but carries more weight for ranking on Yahoo and MSN. Personally, I would only choose a keyword enriched domain if it fits in your branding. You should, however, include your keywords in your file names, title tags, headers, body content, and the anchor text in your backlinks.
icelink

Postby travelmama on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments!
Cara Steele
Naples, FL
travelmama

Postby BethinArkansas on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:06 am

Here's an example. Larry was building a website for a client. A competing website had both the city name and business genre in its domain name, but was nothing more than a home page and five forms to be filled out. But the competing site ranked Number One in Google. No content at all; just forms and the GOOD domain name.

Yes, it violated everything Google says it does when ranking sites, but still had number One. It even had "hidden" keyword spam in the home page code.

So I'd say domain names are important everywhere.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby icelink on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:17 pm

Here's an example. Larry was building a website for a client. A competing website had both the city name and business genre in its domain name, but was nothing more than a home page and five forms to be filled out. But the competing site ranked Number One in Google. No content at all; just forms and the GOOD domain name.

Although I couldn't say for sure without analyzing the site that ranks with no content and good domain, it is most likely ranking #1 because of the quality/quantity of backlinks combined with the targeted keyword phrase in the anchor text.

There are too many factors involved with search engine rankings that simply having a keyword enriched domain will not be enough to get to the top. It just doesn't work that way.
icelink

Postby MaryA on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:07 pm

Your domain is not top priority for search engine optimization but if you can get a keyword in your domain I would for the visual effect.

You have four signatures and the one I was sure I knew something about just by looking at your domain name was the everything-equine domain.

If I wanted to read something related to horses seeing your domain name would be enough for me to click on it. In this way using a keyword in your domain name is valuable.
Mary
763-389-4064
24/7 Greeting Card Service
http://GreetingCardGoldmine.com

P.S. I AM only a phone call away.
MaryA

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development