How do I charge?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

How do I charge?

Postby Mara B on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:45 pm

I have a friend from church that would like me to ghostwrite a cookbook for her. She already has someone that will publish it, but needs help with writing. I know how much I get paid for ghostwriting online, but this will be print. How do I charge for this work? What guidelines should I use in making that determination?
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Re: How do I charge?

Postby Kit on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:35 am

Mara B wrote:I have a friend from church that would like me to ghostwrite a cookbook for her. She already has someone that will publish it, but needs help with writing. I know how much I get paid for ghostwriting online, but this will be print. How do I charge for this work? What guidelines should I use in making that determination?

Hmm...I'll need to think about that one for a bit. Annette might have some experience with this. You could see what she thinks, if you haven't already.

Just off the top of my head, I would have these questions:

• How many recipes? Original or tweaked recipes?
  • What other info (i.e. stories, cooking tips, etc.)
  • How much research, other than finding the recipes?
  • Will your name be mentioned in the credits anywhere? (i.e. edited by, research assistant, etc.)

Having said all of that, you might want to charge by the hour (in increments.) It would probably easier for you to keep up with the time and for her to understand the pricing, if you did it by the hour.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mel on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:03 pm

I agree, definitely get more information before you decide on a price. A couple more questions:

1. Will you have to add graphics? If so, will she provide them or do you have to research and find them? Some places charge you to use their graphics.
2. Will there be a chapter on cholesterol busting meals, diabetic recipes or other special meals? If so, you'll probably have to include the nutritional breakdown for those.

If you don't want to charge by the hour, then you might consider charging a per page rate.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Curious if you got everything worked out for the project?
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development