First web site

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

First web site

Postby 2x2mom on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:28 am

I am new to all of this so I am seeking everyones help. Recently, my sister and I have decided to start looking into different consultant opportunities and we are wanting to build a website to link to the different companies we want to affiate with. So my question is what advice do you have in building the web site, who do you suggest, do we buy a domain name first or with the web site builder ( We have a name picked but, a friend told us not to search if it is available as there are chances that someone will buy it just because it was searched and not bought at that time )? As you can see we are new to all of this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patti
2x2mom
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby busymomma on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:07 am

Always buy domain name first. I recommend going through godaddy.com. Best price and you are positive YOU own it. go to godaddy and buy it, you don't have to do anything with it after you buy it, but you have the name. It's not a good idea to search names if you aren't ready to buy.

Neither of you have any idea on how to build a site? Just asking. I do have web builders on my hosting at Easy WAHM Websites starting at only $3.95 a month. We have fantastico and cpanel which are the easiest formats to use and there are a lot of different programs you can install with one click.

PM or email with any questions specific to the hosting.
Val

Easy WAHM Websites
Pre-made websites, virtual assistance, blog management.

Busy Momma Wellness
Make you a priority!
busymomma
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby BethinArkansas on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:49 am

Is your domain name related to the niche you've chosen? Is it keyword-related to search terms people will use to search for the type of information you will be providing?

If so, buy it first.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Audrey on Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:33 pm

I too use godaddy. I've bought domains, knowing I'd use them but not right now. It's under $10 for a year. When I'm ready, then I develop them.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby w00w00 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:19 pm

This is what I would do:

1. Register a domain name, using keywords related to the niche you and your sister want to get involved in. ( I use either GoDaddy.com or NameCheap.com).

2. Purchase Web Hosting ( I use HostGator.com)

3. Install Wordpress to build your site, this can be easily done with a web host that has a CPanel and Fantastico installed.
Regards,
Wendy Wood

Internet Marketing in Heels
w00w00
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development