Build Incoming Links for Better Search Engine Traffic

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Build Incoming Links for Better Search Engine Traffic

Postby jtheron on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:13 pm

One of the most important ways to build your business through the internet is with incoming links.

Most of the search engines, and most importantly, Google ( they have most of the market ) rank sites based on incoming links.

Simple things like including your link in the tagline of post is helpful, but getting links on sites with high Page Rank is critical.

Here's a couple of free ways to do so:

Social Networks
Create a profile on a social network, particularly ones specifically for working from home like **link removed**. In your profile, create links back to your important business webpages

Article Submissions
Write mini articles on sites like ezinearticles and include your link in your tagline

Yahoo Answers
A great place to get incoming links and traffic - provide concise answers to categories and questions like 'work from home' and get great links if your answer is the best one.

Cheers
JT
Last edited by Kit on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link
jtheron
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Build Incoming Links for Better Search Engine Traffic

Postby cherie27 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:59 am

Some other free ways:
- share your discussion in forums
- submit link to link directories
cherie27

Postby BethinArkansas on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:50 pm

jtheron wrote:One of the most important ways to build your business through the internet is with incoming links.

Most of the search engines, and most importantly, Google ( they have most of the market ) rank sites based on incoming links.

Simple things like including your link in the tagline of post is helpful, but getting links on sites with high Page Rank is critical.

Here's a couple of free ways to do so:

Social Networks
Create a profile on a social network, particularly ones specifically for working from home like **link removed**. In your profile, create links back to your important business webpages

Article Submissions
Write mini articles on sites like ezinearticles and include your link in your tagline

Yahoo Answers
A great place to get incoming links and traffic - provide concise answers to categories and questions like 'work from home' and get great links if your answer is the best one.

Cheers
JT

I'm under the impression Yahoo Answers uses no follow attribute tags. Am I wrong?
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Mikiciuk on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:06 am

Answers are nofollow. Check help.com or yedda.com - these aren't nofollow. Blog commenting works fine - just check if links are dofollow.
Mikiciuk

Postby beccad80 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:23 pm

The big thing right now, in my opinion, is blog posting. In fact, there are tons of job openings on sites like oDesk for just that. People want to get their links out there to as many places as possible. Exposure really is the key. Also, don't forget to check the page rank (prchecker is the one I use) before you go to too much trouble posting links. Anything above 4 is what you should aim for.
Last edited by Kit on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: links removed
beccad80

Postby LorettaOliver on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:10 pm

If you use FireFox as your browser, there are several addons that will highlight nofollow and follow links so that you're always sure what kind of link you're getting. :wink:
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby nugget on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:14 pm

That's a great tip, Loretta, thanks!
nugget

Postby KarriLee on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:40 am

-Squidoo and Hubpages
-link exchanges
-Forums
-Article ezine submissions
-paid ads
-directory submissions
KarriLee

Postby jaygirl on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Also be wary of these "buy 100 links for $10" type of thing, getting good backlinks takes time. That means no SPAM and quality relevant content.
jaygirl

Postby dadeon on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:02 am

Just a couple of things that jumped out...

- Firstly, Yahoo Answers is NOFOLLOW but the common belief is that the links DO count. Even if Google won't index the link, they most certainly crawl Yahoo answers a couple of times a day. It's a fast way to get a page indexed at least. I always add a couple of Yahoo answers links - even if it's just for good measure.

- Link exchanges - avoid them at all costs. Reciprocal links that use a script are too easy to trace and can hurt you.

- Buying links - unless you hook a private deal with a webmaster to manually place a link on a high PR page (not site) then it's not worth buying links. Be careful of sites that charge you a recurring fee to maintain purchased links - it gets VERY expensive over time.

- Directories - it is slow, but still worth it. Over time the links will get picked up and even if it takes 9 months, it's still a link and most directories have high PR.

- Social Bookmarks - not nearly as effective as it used to be and the links don't stick quite as well anymore. You need to be a bit smarter with these links nowadays.

All things considered you need to keep in mind that Google is looking for NATURAL links. This is only part of the reason why you need to mix some high PR links into the mix. Don't just do Yahoo answers. Get some links from YouTube, Knol and other popular sites - even if they have a nofollow tag.
dadeon

Postby BethinArkansas on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:58 am

beccad80 wrote:The big thing right now, in my opinion, is blog posting. In fact, there are tons of job openings on sites like oDesk for just that. People want to get their links out there to as many places as possible. Exposure really is the key. Also, don't forget to check the page rank (prchecker is the one I use) before you go to too much trouble posting links. Anything above 4 is what you should aim for.

I believe Google counts anything above PR 2 ( or possible PR and above). Always remember, today's PR0 or PR1 may be next week's PR3, PR5 or better. Link building is a long term proposition. Like others have said, web directories are good but it could take quite a while to get your link posted.

While we post on the main article directory sites like Ezine and Amazine, etc., we also post on web directories that allow deep links.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby dadeon on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:38 am

BethinArkansas wrote:
beccad80 wrote:The big thing right now, in my opinion, is blog posting. In fact, there are tons of job openings on sites like oDesk for just that. People want to get their links out there to as many places as possible. Exposure really is the key. Also, don't forget to check the page rank (prchecker is the one I use) before you go to too much trouble posting links. Anything above 4 is what you should aim for.

I believe Google counts anything above PR 2 ( or possible PR and above). Always remember, today's PR0 or PR1 may be next week's PR3, PR5 or better. Link building is a long term proposition. Like others have said, web directories are good but it could take quite a while to get your link posted.

While we post on the main article directory sites like Ezine and Amazine, etc., we also post on web directories that allow deep links.

Google counts EVERY link that's indexed. The PR Algorithm assigns a value according to the PR of the site as well as the PR of the page the link is on. Obviously the higher the PR, the higher the value of a particular link.

For links from pages below PR3, the value is quite low and you need a ton of them to impact your ranking. When it gets to above PR5 things get A LOT easier.

I am writing a detailed explanation of this at the moment and I maybe I will publish the link here if there's enough interest :wink:
dadeon

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development