Holiday Advertising Plan

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Holiday Advertising Plan

Postby Kit on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 am

The holidays are upon us and by now, you should have already made and implemented a holiday advertising plan. Tell us about it. What have you changed (from last year?) What "new" strategy will you be adding this year?
Kit
Admin Support

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:10 am

This is something I'm always behind on! Thanks for the reminder. Now is a great time to reach out to those early holiday shoppers and get your products and services noticed.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Patrysha on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:56 pm

This holiday season I'm working to benefit from the Chamber of Commerce Holiday campaign that I've developed. I'm just waiting for final approval which is expected to come through on Monday. It will involve a great deal of volunteer work that will put me directly in front of my target market (business owners in town) while showcasing my talents.

It's been a lot of work just to get to the point where they are considering the proposal...but it's a full on multi-media campaign that replaces a dated campaign that was not working for business owners or shoppers.

The campaign will run from November 20th to December 20th and shoppers will be registering to "Win what they spent" (up to $2000) at participating sponsors throughout town during the campaign. It's supported by web, newspaper, radio and video billboard promotions (as well as in-store promotions)

The only other promotion I'll have running through the holiday season is my business marketing articles in the local newspaper.
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
http://www.pkmarketingsolutions.com
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Postby Mel on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:16 pm

Advertising this year is a cinch, I'm not doing any. :lol: I've been so busy with other stuff that it sort of slipped my mind and since I'm taking time off from Christmas through the first week of Jan, I don't need to start something that I can't follow through with.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Kit on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:43 am

Way to go Patrysha! *we really need a bouncy-yay icon* I'll be doing more of the local advertising next year. ;)

Mel, I know what you mean. For those of us who offer services, it's easy to get caught up in the "here and now" of getting tasks finished.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:05 pm

Patrysha, that all sounds so exciting!

Now that I've looked over my to do list for this month and got to thinkin about what I want to do and my revised goals that I have written down above my desk... I think I'm going with Mel's plan of no holiday advertising for the business.

I am still on the fence about buying some advertising for my BANS websites, I'm not sure how far I want to spend into that right now.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Patrysha on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Well after the Christmas committee got done with things this afternoon...they've gutted the heart of the plan, so I'm not sure whether I want my name associated with it...though I'll do the volunteering I did commit to. I'll have to think long and hard this weekend about exactly what I can hope to salvage from this...

Now I remember why I don't join more non-profit groups...
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Postby Mel on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:37 am

Sorry to hear they scrapped it Patrysha. I'd stick to what you volunteered for, but beyond that, I would probably step away from it unless you can see a beneficial reason to stick with it. Sometimes getting involved with this kind of thing can turn out to be a total drain on you, physically and mentally (spoken from experience).
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby Patrysha on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:57 am

Yeah, I'll be spending the weekend deciding exactly what I will do.

I know why I put each and every element in there (all relating to marketing and psychology and research) and honestly I expected they would either accept it or reject it, not cherry pick it. By cherry picking it they've put me in a really awkward position...and I'm still not sure exactly what I can and should do about it.
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 am

That's a difficult position to be in. They've taken your original idea and made it something completely different than you first proposed. I hope it works out and you can find a way to enjoy working with them and maybe even find something beneficial in the volunteering aspect of it all.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Patrysha on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:11 pm

What I did was tell them that I couldn't commit to helping with the project with the proposed changes. They ended up deciding to not do anything for an actual retail promotion this year.

I was a bit worried that it would reflect poorly on me, but I explained that I couldn't redevelop the whole campaign with the changes in the short amount of time that we had available. (I had everything pre-designed and ready to go -posters, counter-top promoters, registration forms, paper and radio ads and press releases. There was really no time to change the campaign to accommodate the new requests because I couldn't use the headlines, taglines...none of it could be salvaged.

However, they are looking at developing a year-round promotional program and the Chamber President has asked me for a meeting about Chamber business. The president is my contact for another project and the business he works for represents two of my biggest local clients at the moment (a sports team and a fire safety company)
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development