Moving from Wordress.com to my own hosting...will it affect?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Moving from Wordress.com to my own hosting...will it affect?

Postby chris on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 am

I want to know how much would affect my natural beauty guide blog. This is my plan:

Move the site to my hosting via exporting posts on the wordpress.com blog and importing to the new blog. Let the old one stay put with a link to the new blog until the new blog starts getting picked up by the search engines as well.

Is this a good plan or does anyone have a better way to do this?

Thanks much,
Image the Eccentric WAHM Blogger!
chris
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Re: Moving from Wordress.com to my own hosting...will it affect?

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:52 pm

Will you be changing domain names as well? Or the same domain name with new hosting?
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby chris on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:33 pm

I have it as www.naturalbeautyguide.wordpress.com when I first started it and now want to move it to my hosting and a domain name. Should have done it from the get go, when I first got my hosting about 6 mths after setting that up on wordpress.

I could host it there still and add the domain name BUT having my own hosting allows me to design it the way I want it rather than have to pay to do so on wordpress. At least that is how I understand it from what I read in that area :)
chris

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Ah, not sure if Wordpress.com allows you to add a redirect or not, which is what I was going to suggest if you were changing domain names.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby chris on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:29 pm

That would nice :) . I wasn't thinking about that. Will go poke around on wordpress to see if they offer that...or any solutions OTHER than staying on there subdomain ;) Let you know what I find.
chris

Postby chris on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:30 am

I found that you can redirect from wordpress.com but you have to pay for there domain mapping upgrade which is $10 a year. It's reasonable enough and may just do that.

Thanks for the redirect solution!
chris

Postby LorettaOliver on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:16 pm

$10 a year isn't too shabby. Make sure you put Google Analytics on the new site to see where traffic is coming from. That way after the first year you can see if anyone is still using the old URL and decide to keep or drop the redirect.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby BethinArkansas on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:38 am

LorettaOliver wrote:$10 a year isn't too shabby. Make sure you put Google Analytics on the new site to see where traffic is coming from. That way after the first year you can see if anyone is still using the old URL and decide to keep or drop the redirect.

Truly great advice from Loretta. We love Google Analytics because it tells you what most interested your site visitors. In turn, you can create more content in that same area and, hopefully, generate even more traffic.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby chris on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:17 am

i am holding off a bit LOL. I wanted to try to get it all done before I moved BUT it didn't happen. I am now in my new place, however still got a lot to unpack and some odds and ends in the old place to get out on the next 2 weeks.

But I am so glad I got all this information...now when I am ready to do it I can just do it!

Thanks a bunch for all the info!
chris

Postby LorettaOliver on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:40 am

Moving so close to the holiday season had to be nice and stressful for you -lol- I've moved so many times, we just moved a few months ago. I am tired of moving. Blah. I hope everything went smoothly for you so far.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby chris on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:53 pm

OMG...so stressful but will manage. First time had to move in the winter...brrrrrrr. Never want to do that again LOL
chris

Postby chris on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:36 pm

It's not about whether .wordpress is helping or not. From my point of view and all the years I spent working online having it's own domain name as well as unique design is very important amongst all the other things you need for a successful site. Yes, I have had quite a few followers, searches and visits to my site but if I secure it's own domain name and host it myself (which is why I was looking for ideas on how to move it and direct the traffic to it's new home) I could really honestly increase the traffic.

I have been doing more research about moving it...I think I am possibly going to upgrade to WP yearly hosting which will give me designing freedom, then buy a domain name. I really haven't decided. When my hosting crashed I put the guide on hold til I get everything back up again. Which will be soon :)

Thanks for the response :D
chris

Postby Kit on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:43 am

As I was twittering, I came across a tweet from Jeff Chandler, who does some writing on problogger and other notable sites. Jeff mentioned that he was writing about moving from WP.com to WP.org. If you are considering making the move yourself, you may want to check it out.
Kit
Admin Support

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development