Need Explination of Hosting Accounts

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Need Explination of Hosting Accounts

Postby thriftycook on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm

I need a host that lets me have different websites on the same hosting account if possible, but not aliases. I think I understand that an alias is a domain that points to the main hosting account's content... what I need is hosting that is inexpensive for about five or six different websites, all under ONE charge rather than a bunch of separate charges.

I tried to open one at godaddy but it was aliases, and I don't think I want that, although i am not sure if I really understand it or not.

Can anyone explain it to me? It's confusing when the hosting plan says "unlimited websites" but in reality it doesn't seem to actually mean that, unless all those "websites" are pointing to the same content.

Am I missing something?

HELP :(...
:mrgreen:
thriftycook
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Need Explination of Hosting Accounts

Postby BethinArkansas on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:45 am

thriftycook wrote:I need a host that lets me have different websites on the same hosting account if possible, but not aliases. I think I understand that an alias is a domain that points to the main hosting account's content... what I need is hosting that is inexpensive for about five or six different websites, all under ONE charge rather than a bunch of separate charges.

I tried to open one at godaddy but it was aliases, and I don't think I want that, although i am not sure if I really understand it or not.

Can anyone explain it to me? It's confusing when the hosting plan says "unlimited websites" but in reality it doesn't seem to actually mean that, unless all those "websites" are pointing to the same content.

Am I missing something?

HELP :(...
:mrgreen:

We use hostgator and have several sites on one account.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Mel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 am

I use hostgator too and it allows multiple domains.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

GoDaddy allows multiple domains on one account as well. Their backend setup is a bit confusing though, especially if you're used to cpanel. On the backend it will look like it just added a new directory to your main domain, but it is actually a new domain.

Hostgator is a lot easier to use on the customer end, and they have cpanel which is helpful as well.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby thriftycook on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:29 am

Thanks.

I'm trying out momwebs and I am enjoying it. So far, so good. Go daddy was just too confusing on the back end, you're right.

This makes more sense to me how it's set up. I'm also experimenting with word press. I don't know why I haven't tried it sooner.
thriftycook
New to Internet Based Moms

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development