anchor text -- too little/too much?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Re: anchor text -- too little/too much?

Postby MsLiz on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Your anchor text is important if you're trying to get found for certain keywords. For an article I'd just add the article title or the main keywords of the article title, don't include the abstract.

Don't make your anchor text too long or you're not likely to be found. Your anchor text should be a keyword or keyword phrase that is searched on, so use a keyword research tool to find out what those keywords are and fashion your anchor text around them.
MsLiz
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby vslonline on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:46 pm

For the robots or spiders, the anchor text is never too long, but if you're looking for readers, I don't think a six to seven word will be highly recommended. You should consider looking for keywords that are healthy ones and concise. The shorter it is, the easier it is to remember, but make sure the people are searching for that keyword. It all starts there.
vslonline
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:01 am

I've never really heard of too much anchor text before. But, I think the anchor text should make sense. Don't jumble together a bunch of keywords just because they are keywords, make it make sense and be relevant to the linked page of course.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby BethinArkansas on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:18 am

Your anchor text link should be whatever keyword or keyword phrase is the primary keyword for the page you are anchoring to.

For instance, Google says more people search for pennsylvania brain injury lawyers than search for pennsylvania brain injury attorneys. While we use both of those phrases in our keyword meta tag and in page copy, we titled the page Pennsylvania Brain Injury Lawyers and use those same four words in anchor text to the page.

Yes, you should write a short abstract, but only hyperlink the desired primary keyword or phrase. Think about Squidoo's Link Module. Each link has a 250 character description. You really don't need much more unless it makes the abstract more understandable for the reader.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development