Backgrounds Dilemna

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Backgrounds Dilemna

Postby travelmama on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:39 am

I was thinking the other day on backgrounds for my new site and am wondering what opinions you all have? I personally am not a fan of looking at a white background but don't like gaudy or bold ones either. I have some ideas for my site but kind of wanted to get a feel for others' thoughts too.

I'm also wondering what percent of homepage should be graphics. I do want to use some nice photos on my page due to the subject but don't want to overdo it. What would you all think is the maximum percentage that could be graphics/photos without distracting the visitor?
Cara Steele
Naples, FL
travelmama
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Backgrounds Dilemna

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:53 am

I'm a big fan of a grey background behind the white content area. It just seems to center everything for the eye.

For the homepage you want it to load fast, so I'd try not to use too many heavy pictures. Adjust the size and resolution and test your page loading time until you're happy with how it looks and how fast it loads.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby travelmama on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:18 am

Good thought - I hadn't even considered load time for graphics! Thank you!
Cara Steele
Naples, FL
travelmama

Postby awrighty on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:12 pm

I also have a travel site and have lots of pictures on it. It takes some time to load sometimes so the lighter the better. We usually try to keep the pictures under 5kb. If you know anything about CSS or CSS templates they can be faster to load as someone moves around your site.

As for the background, I like to read black text against a white background but it's nice if there's some colour somewhere else for sure.
Cures for insomnia, a great luxury resort resource and my favourite Garmin handheld GPS units.
awrighty

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development