Ashton Kutcher hits 1 Million Twitter Followers-Thoughts?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Ashton Kutcher hits 1 Million Twitter Followers-Thoughts?

Postby ChristineG on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:25 pm

I wrote a blog post about my feelings on it--basically I concluded that although it was a stunt and Mr. Demi Moore only follows a paltry 79 people back it was generally a good thing. It shows how big new media has become, how one person can go up against a huge, established news network (CNN) and that social media can be used for good (Kutcher donated to a malaria charity).

Thoughts? Good, bad, don't care?

I mentioned in my post that some early adopters didn't like it because they feel it misses the point of Twitter. I also think some of them never wanted Twitter to go mainstream. (I knew it was only a matter of time, personally!)

Would love to hear others' views.
Claim your FREE E-Course!
Social Media Simplified for Small Business Owners at
http://communicatevalue.com
ChristineG
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Ashton Kutcher hits 1 Million Twitter Followers-Thoughts?

Postby awrighty on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:35 am

I think it's fine. Actually for me, I never really thought twitter would be that interesting until they were on Larry King and talking about it. I had missed the fact that there is so much opportunity on twitter to follow interesting people and find out new things. I'm sure Twitter likes it too except that it's over capacity at the moment. That's a good problem to have though.
Cures for insomnia, a great luxury resort resource and my favourite Garmin handheld GPS units.
awrighty
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby BethinArkansas on Sun May 03, 2009 4:33 am

I thought one of the main points of Twitter was "You follow me and I follow you." What does it say when a million people are interested in what you have to say but you're only interested in what 79 of them have to say?
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby chris on Mon May 04, 2009 11:10 pm

I don't follow celebs, don't care too. Don't really care why they use it either, I can get the scoop on any mainstream gossip site or show any given day.

I don't do the follow me, follow you either anymore unless it's someone I converse with on forums or other venues. I found that people just love the hell out of spamming ya on twitter. SO now I check out their twitter page if it looks like they are interesting, interact (meaning not a page full of promo's) I will follow, as well as if there site is appealing to me at all that they list in there profile. A few promos coming through don't bother me I actually click on a few LOL.

I also maybe check out the new followers twice a month, follow or not as well block (so many I find I block nowadays too). I don't put a whole lot of effort into appeasing anyone on twitter, I would rather meet people I can identify with, have good conversation with, have friday night disco trivia (need to make some time for that have missed a month, totally miss havin so much fun thanks to Kelly Claypool), get some good advice and find a great opp or product ever once in a while.

Ok there is my ramble for the week :mrgreen:
Image the Eccentric WAHM Blogger!
chris
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mel on Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 am

ChristineG wrote:It shows how big new media has become, how one person can go up against a huge, established news network (CNN) and that social media can be used for good (Kutcher donated to a malaria charity).

I agree that social media can be used for good and I feel that Ashton did a great thing donating to the malaria charity. However, I don't think that just any ol' Joe could go up against CNN or any established media outlet and get the same results. He was successful because of who he is.

Show me someone who is totally unknown, perhaps has never or rarely used a computer, get the same results and then I'll be impressed.

Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective or just have a bad attitude. :D But twitter just doesn't interest me in the least.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development