What is wrong with your blog?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

What is wrong with your blog?

Postby Shann on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 am

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to all this, so I was hopeing someone could help me out. I have a work from home blog that features work from home job leads, tips and resources. Unfortunately, everyone who loads my page rarely comes back. What am I doing wrong not to keep my visitors returning? I upload new articles frequently. Any ideas on what I can do to make my blog sticky?
WAHM helping others find real hourly paid jobs at home and homebased opportunites.

Real and Legit Work at Home Job Leads
Shann
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: What is wrong with your blog?

Postby Mel on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 pm

There could be many reasons why they aren't returning, but here are a few things that come to mind that you may want to consider...

- Is your blog url easy to remember (in case they don't bookmark it)?

- Are the colors & design appealing?

- Is it easy to navigate? Are links and categories easy to locate and understand?

- Are the job leads and tips fresh or are they ones that people have seen on the hundreds or thousands of other work-at-home sites?

- Are you making engaging posts, where it requires them to comment or to return (other than for the leads and tips)?

- How long have you had your blog and is it pretty active (as far as comments and such)?

I think sometimes, especially with work-at-home sites, people are busy with life and probably a job outside the home. They visit sites but are only casually looking to see what's availale, therefore they forget to come back. Or they may choose a site that is very active, where people are always asking questions, offering feedback, etc, so they can get more one-on-one help so to speak.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby lindastacy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:21 pm

The first thing I noticed about your blog is that there are lots of "invitations" to leave. At the very top is a job search and Google ads that take visitors away. Then the sidebar starts with an ad and some games to play which again distract your visitors and invite them to leave your site.

I'd suggest moving your feed and subscription form to the top of the sidebar, followed by the welcome section (and make that section all about why visitors should stick around and read - what will they find that will help them). Instead of saying the site is hard to navigate, tell them now to find what they need. Perhaps you can categorize the listings, then link to the categories so people can find what they are looking for.

When someone arrives at your site you have just seconds to catch their attention and convince them you can provide what they are looking for. Don't first provide links to other resources that will draw them away.

I also think, as Mel said, you need some "engaging posts" that invite visitors to comment and participate. Once visitors start participating they'll be more inclined to come back to follow up.
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby BethinArkansas on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:25 am

I agree with Linda and Mel. The first thing that hit me was that your posts were a list of affiliate links rather than information. I would probably have an article title like 3 Best Data Entry Jobs Compared with good information about all three. You can then sum up your article with YOUR ranking of the three and "For more information, visit their site here" with your affiliate link.

Just make sure they are bona fide data entry jobs that people can do from home for a salary.

Give value to your visitors and they'll return.
BethinArkansas
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby Shann on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:16 pm

Wow, thanks so much for your responses. This really helped me out! Since then, I went ahead and changed it around a bit. I still have to change a bit more, but I think it looks a little better now. When you get a chance take a look at it. I can take criticism.

Thanks!
WAHM helping others find real hourly paid jobs at home and homebased opportunites.

Shann

Postby BethinArkansas on Sun May 03, 2009 4:23 am

Hey Shann,

Don't think of any suggestions you get here as criticism. Criticism is a word that has such a negative connotation. You'll find a number of successful ladies here (and a gent or two) that have "been there, done that", learned from it and now are better able to offer suggestions.

If we were all perfect at this we'd all be millionaires and probably not posting on such a forum. I'd be lying on a beach somewhere without the first thought about online marketing. 8)
BethinArkansas

Postby Shann on Mon May 04, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks for the feedback :D . I meant criticism as in constructive critism, my bad choice of words. I am so happy that I joined this forum. I have learned so much already - great community!

Shann

Postby garyj85 on Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 am

Hi Shann,

In my personal opinion, you must constantly promote your sites to continue attracting visitors. It's normal that people don't return to your blog. Promotion is a continuous process.

Regards
FREE MONEY BOOK. Discover how to make $1,000 a day or more working 60 minutes a day or less. Visit http://www.GetFreeMoneyMakingBookNow.com
garyj85

Postby BethinArkansas on Mon May 11, 2009 2:28 pm

If you use Feedburner (Google) for your RSS, they have a subscription form where your blog visitors can sign up to receive an email each time your blog is updated. I don't have it on my blog yet but Larry has it on one of his: http://unclebrice.com. The form is on subpages.
BethinArkansas

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development