Odd Strategy To Develop Your Business

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Odd Strategy To Develop Your Business

Postby Kit on Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 am

Growing and developing a business isn't easy and can be quite time consuming. If you're like me, you've spent a lot of time learning about the different business building strategies and putting them into practice.

Recently I was at home enjoying a few nice sunny days and my mind wandered to business but it wasn't the usual sort of thoughts. I've always tried to take breaks and vacations but for some reason, I started seeing vacations as a strategy to building my business as opposed to just seeing them as "healthy time away." I came to the conclusion that vacations are MUCH more than "time away" and developed a business strategy that actually required a break or vacation.

With summer coming up, I thought it might be nice to share ideas about how you can use vacation time to benefit your business. What do you think? How would/do you do it?
Kit
Admin Support

Re: Odd Strategy To Develop Your Business

Postby LorettaOliver on Wed May 06, 2009 8:09 am

What's this vacation time off thing you're talking about? :lol:

Seriously though, it sounds like a good thing to think about and include in your business plans. Although, admittedly I'm bad at taking time off .. even when I'm off I have my computer with me most of the time and check in online at least once a night after the kids go to sleep. So, I'm not sure how to best use the time away scenario as a benefit.

I'm definitely curious and interested to hear everyone else's ideas!
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby MorgansMom on Wed May 06, 2009 9:59 am

It might be neat to vacation somewhere either with another internet marketer or where another one lives and do a series of interviews. Wouldn't it be sweet to run into John Reese on a beach in Hawaii and you just happen to have your video cam with you? You could record the two of you sitting on a chaise on the beach sipping on some margaritas and talking about getting rich.

Other than that, when I'm away from home, my mind is completely closed off to work stuff. If I don't get my "recovery time" I'm useless when I get back.
MorgansMom
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Kit on Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm

LOL @ Loretta! I know what you mean. ;)

@ Morgan'sMom - You said, "...my mind is completely closed off to work stuff." That is as it should be! The whole point of taking time off is to rest, relax, and recover. (My 3R's ;) )

When I take a 7-day vacation, I usually only use 5 of those days for actual travel/vacation time. The other two days, I use at home after the vacation. Generally, I use this time to reflect, gather information, and come up with ideas.

Depending on where you go and what you do on your vacation, the ideas could be quite amazing. For example, using your Hawaii vacation, the reflection and ideas may look something like this:

• I bought a new outfit and purse while there. Why did I buy it and what advertising did they use to encourage my purchase?
  • I went to several local tourist spots. Why did I choose them & how did their brochure description influence me?

What other business strategies could you reflect on after the fact?
Kit
Admin Support

Postby awrighty on Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 am

I think vacation time is critical. Just stepping away from your business for a while can help you to come back fresh and with new eyes. Maybe the things you thought were so important are not really. Being free of work gives your mind time to "breathe" and be creative. Hmm, maybe it's time for a vacation myself. ;)
Cures for insomnia, a great luxury resort resource and my favourite Garmin handheld GPS units.
awrighty
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Mel on Thu May 07, 2009 7:59 am

My vacations tend to be too busy to relax and think. Of course, I don't take a lot of time off so when I do, it's usually to visit with family or schedule in some activity that keeps us on the go. By the time it's over, I'm exhausted and need a few days to rest and not think at all.

I like the idea of taking a vacation to evaluate your business, strategies, future plans, etc. Especially if you have someone there that understands what you do and could offer feedback.

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to plan two vacations a year. One with the family and one without. :lol:
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 am

Mel wrote:By the time it's over, I'm exhausted and need a few days to rest and not think at all.

You need a vacation from your vacation! :lol: I know I've done the same thing. Last summer I took the boys up to PA on the train to visit my mom, and we were always doing stuff, going to the zoo, and doing this or that. Being on vacation is exhausting -lol-
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby LaurieH on Thu May 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Usually when I go on vacation, I forget what it is I do when I'm back home.

I'm fortunate to have a team of professionals who take care of everything for me. I make it a point to surround myself with people who are smarter and savvier than me in many areas.

Vice versa, they know they can count on me when they take their holidays. We have a good thing going.
Laurie Hayes, Senior Manager
SendOutCards

Driving to a store to buy cards and stamps and a mailbox to send them? Send handwritten cards in less than a minute from any computer. Cards are PRINTED, STUFFED, STAMPED and MAILED for @$1.50 Discover why moms, seniors and professionals are turning to SendOutCards.

Send a free card at http://www.cardattraction.com The future of card sending is here!
LaurieH

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri May 15, 2009 2:16 pm

I think vacation is also a good time to just reflect on what you've done so far and come up with new ideas without really trying to. I'm sort of looking forward to our week off in July. I promised I wouldn't work like I normally do, but that doesn't mean I can't take a pen and journal and write down new ideas for my business.
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby Kit on Fri May 15, 2009 2:48 pm

LOL Spoken like a true service provider. :p Loads of us who provide services or at least take orders for products, spend a lot of time doing things for other people. This doesn't leave a lot of time for us to grow our own businesses.

Whether I am taking a vacation at home or going away, I am always more likely to think of great ideas when I'm more relaxed. That's why I make notes or use a little recorder. Of course, you don't want to pull those things out in the middle of a tour but there is always time when you get back to the hotel or home. ;)
Kit
Admin Support

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri May 15, 2009 3:43 pm

I always forget about the little voice recorder that's built into my MP3 player! I need to take better advantage of that for those odd times that I get an idea wave (like when I'm standing in the middle of the produce section at the grocery store! LOL)
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby initial-impressions on Fri May 15, 2009 3:47 pm

If I found myself in a new town on vacation, I would likely explore any embroidery shops in the area and see what they are doing. Sometimes just chatting about what you love to do results in collaborative arrangements and other win-win ideas.

Peg Bowles
Initial Impressions
Initial Impressions
www.initial-impressions.net
www.initial-impressions.net/blog - - embroidery ideas!
Custom embroidered and personalized fine items for the whole family and the home
initial-impressions
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby irecommend on Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Vacation time is good. I don't know when was the last time I had a vacation. I may be obsess with the internet and business. I may go out with some friends now and then. I think I will take 2 days off in June. I hope to anyway...lol....
irecommend

Postby Kit on Fri May 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Absolutely, Peg! I love those little informal visits during a vacation. You can learn a lot that way and still not infringe too much on vacation time. ;)
Kit
Admin Support

Postby SharonMcMillan on Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 pm

I agree with you ladies who mentioned the fact that relaxing makes you more attuned to ideas and opportunities for your business. I haven't fully shut down to have deep, introspective but relaxing vacation in YEARS. That's about to change.

Just last week I told hubby that my mother, daughter and I were going away to a rural family retreat (that's not his cup of tea, so he won't be going). My mother hasn't travelled since she had her kidney transplant 4 years ago so I'm so happy to have this time with her and my daughter (a three generational girls trip!).

I plan to come back renewed and refreshed and ready to push my business up a notch in the year ahead.
SharonMcMillan

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development