Widgets on your Business Service Website

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Widgets on your Business Service Website

Postby StaciJansma on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:09 am

Have you set up widgets on your wordpress website? If so I would like to know what you have used. I am working on my site and need to get some business-related pictures picked out, some actual content on my site and placing widgets.

Trying to focus on which widgets to place. So far I have fun facts and Tweet Roll. What do you think about those two ? and What do you think I could add that would help with my site and not be a distraction.
StaciJansma
New to Internet Based Moms

Re: Widgets on your Business Service Website

Postby Mel on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 am

I answered part of your question in your introduction so I won't repeat it here. But as for widgets... I don't use them much because I can never find exactly what I want. :roll: In fact, my new site design is supposed to have some at the bottom, but I took that part out until I can figure out what I want to show there.

My thoughts though are to choose ones that either reflect back to your own stuff - think one that pulls recent comments from your blog posts or perhaps displays your calendar or are useful to your clients while also complimentary to you (if you offer marketing services, perhaps one that pulls marketing videos from youtube).

Like I said, I can never figure out what I want so I'll continue to ride the fence until one jumps out at me and I think ah ha!
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby StaciJansma on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:46 am

Actually that is a good point. Remove them until I can figure something out. And maybe I just will not put anything there. I guess that is why I have the TweetRoll... but I will remove that. Looking at putting a testimonial on the side. I have one already. And once I get a few more looking to add my testimony page that I have standing by.
StaciJansma
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby lindastacy on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:41 pm

I use more text widgets than anything else so I can just add what I want.
Others I use:

Subscription services - so visitors can sign up for email notifications as well as RSS

Recent comments widget - as just another acknowledgment/encouragement for participants.

Links - So I can link to my other sites (also very nice way to refer to friends' sites)

Categories - To help visitors find what they need
(And search widget for the same reason)
(And tag cloud for the same reason)

My recommendation would be to use the sidebar to add value for your visitors. Think about what they might be looking for when they come to your site and help them find it.
~ Linda
For Direct Sales Consultants: Directory Listings -or- Free Link Directory
Still looking? Find Your Perfect Direct Sales Opportunity
lindastacy
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development