Building Your Team

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Building Your Team

Postby Kit on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:47 am

(originally started in Direct Sales Moms)

Creating a private place for your team to communicate is very important. This is one of the first things I suggest to business owners, especially if they have a message board and/or a large team.

It's important for everyone to be on the same page and headed in the same direction. Communication is soooooooooo important! Having a place where your team can meet or leave messages is a big plus for the team as well as the business.

You wouldn't believe how many teams I've been on that didn't incorporate this. Here are a few things I discovered:
  • A team isn't a TEAM if the members never talk to each other.
  • Teams need to pull together. They can't do that if everyone is working as an individual.
  • Many business owners don't use team members to their full potential.
  • Teams need to brainstorm solutions to problems.
  • Close-knit teams usually feel they have a vested interest in the business' success and are willing to go the extra mile.
  • If/when the poo hits the fan, loyal team members will stick with you.

Ok...that was more than 2 cents worth but you get the picture. ;)

Have you worked on a team? What are your thoughts?
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Audrey on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:02 am

Kit,

I agree 100%. I'm in direct sales. My own upline (3 up from me) utilizes the phone. She offers various conference calls almost every day of the week. There are different presenters so we all learn from a variety of people.

My personal sponsor has a team message board. The board is for her entire team.

In the past, we've used Yahoo groups and even had several teams in the group so that everyone could share and learn.

So, like I said, I agree 100%.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby ravish30 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:31 am

I agree too!

Having a forum board, message board, group etc...allows team members to connect and to "feel" like they are a part of a team. We can cheer each other on, offer advice, share ideas etc.
ravish30
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Great Idea - but what is best

Postby ZedBiz on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:42 pm

That is a great idea - but when your team is spread out - and busy - what is the best way you have found as a method of communicating.

And how do you encourage all to communicate?

thanks
Jack
Just Launched
FREE - 101 Internet Marketing Gems from PRIVATE forum - Get it NOW!
Also check out the Wahm Blog - Wahm Blog
ZedBiz

Postby Audrey on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 am

Jack,

Message boards and message groups allow you to participate when you have time. In the past I've worked with folks from all over the world. We communicated via message board, everyone posting during their awake hours. It worked wonderfully.

You can't "force" someone to participate, just as you can't "force" someone to sign up or order. You can make the offer. You can email them posts you think might help them. You can remind them weekly about the board or group, but you can't force them.

My director offers drawings for free products for those who attend the conference calls. Again, she offers them 5 days per week and from 6am until 10 pm, so most everyone can attend at some point, regarldess of location. If you attend you're in a drawing for free products. She usually chooses 3-5 winners depending on how many attend.
Audrey

Postby therealshari on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:41 pm

What a great thread!

With all the Internet tools available today, team-building can be done around the world, 24/7.

One of my favorite tools has been a very affordable conferencing system. That lets team members chat directly with each other, and you can also hold "formal training" without anyone incurring huge phone bills.

They system that works best for me is HotConference. You can try it out for 30 days for just a buck!

I'm on a team for a new business and our team leader has created a full team site where we have access to business building tools (several of us are contributing), a forum, a series of articles to help us promote our businesses, etc. The main business is also using the phone, web casting, and a blog to help with communications.

While you may often think your team members aren't doing anything, they may be lurking and learning. Think of the 80/20 rule. Most folks will take, and fewer will add.
Shari Thomas
Help me kick Amazon's butt! I'll show you how you can have your own online bookstore.
therealshari
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby lstric0602 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:53 pm

I would agree that conference calls are good ways to go to. Also those can be recorded and put on the message board also!
lstric0602
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Audrey on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Ah the technology of today. Folks from around the world can join a call that can be recorded and then uploaded so that others can hear it as well :)
Audrey

Postby DianaWalker on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:36 pm

Oh, I love the technology.

I have a wonderful team of Sunrider leaders and customers-- and I have led Teleclasses for 6 years now.

That has been one way to get to know each other. For my Sunrider team, I have set up our own private forum, and of course, I also take advantage of video conferencing and group conference calls.

10 years ago when I started, I always wanted to get away from home parties and trade shows -- I had a dream of creating relationships and meeting people over the internet -- and for the past 5 years I have successfully moved closer and closer to the goal of communicating and keeping my team together, through all the resources we have online and by phone, from the comfort of our homes!

Diana
I love helping people go from craving junk food to craving healthy food!

Diana Walker, Cravings Coach
http://www.thecravingscoach.com/blog
http://www.dianarecommends.com
DianaWalker
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby ravish30 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:06 pm

I am a big fan of team forum boards. Even though most of the team never posts on them....they indeed go there and read and keep updated that way.

They can log in when its convenient for them....read and/or post when they want too.

Conference calling is great too for those who want to utilize that avenue but I like the message board forum format because consultants can interact with one another...they can read and post ideas to help one another out and newbies from day one can log into it and read what happened last year and what is currently going on right now at this moment.
ravish30
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby lwillard on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:32 am

I'm also a huge fan of team forums as well as conference calls. We have a team forum at yahoo groups where anyone can ask questions, get advice. We also have a large "files" section. Honestly, just about any question can be answered through our online file section.

We also have several company and team calls every week. You can't force people to get on these calls, but they are available and the committed are there every week.

Communication is vital to any business.
lwillard
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Return to Getting Started