Article Marketing - blast them out or strategically submit?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

Article Marketing - blast them out or strategically submit?

Postby soapin'Angela on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:08 pm

Just curious how you prefer to do your article marketing.

For a while I was submitting articles to a client, we were doing about 60-80 article directories in a batch, rotating semi-original articles. I'm wondering if that time would have been MUCH better spent finding some authority sites who would accept a completely original article and submitting it to that one site.

Lately for my own article marketing (and some clients) I've been doing much more targeted marketing and basically only using EzineArticles.com for the most part. For one article I submitted end of October it's gotten 85 url clicks through EzineArticles so far which isn't too bad at all.

Doing guest posts on popular blogs is another thing I think would be more productive then doing article blasts of the same or similar articles.

What do you think? How do you do your article marketing.
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby Mel on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:10 pm

In my opinion, strategic submissions work better. I've worked with clients who wanted as many as submissions as possible in their allotted time and the results of doing it that way weren't as good as hand picking fewer, more targeted sites.
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby mamabear on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:06 am

In my opinion, strategic submissions work better. I've worked with clients who wanted as many as submissions as possible in their allotted time and the results of doing it that way weren't as good as hand picking fewer, more targeted sites

I agree, I have seen far more greater success with selected article submission than mass article submission.
mamabear
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Postby lstric0602 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:35 am

So, tell me what are article submissions for? That's what I don't understand...why blast them and articles for what?
lstric0602
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mila on Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:54 am

I don't mass submit either. Like everything else I think you need a good strategy and system so taking your time to put on together is good.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Patrysha on Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:11 am

Leslie,

Articles to promote your business or expertise. For example, I used to write articles about business planning and publicity promotion through press releases. Now I write about audio advertising and the different elements of that. The articles are submitted to various places and when they are picked up by websites or newsletters it provides link backs to my site and exposes a new audience to my name/business/expertise. It's a form of pubic relations marketing that is very effective online.

Actually, it started before that when I used to write about childcare and early childhood development issues - gosh I've been online too long and done too many things to be this far behind...sigh!

As for what I do a-- currently I submit my articles to four directories. I want to be more disciplined about it in the new year and put out three articles a week. I think I'll continue with the four directories, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for better options if they arise.

I'm hoping to hire my eldest son to do that (as well as few other mindless repetitive tasks for me), if he can just sit still long enough (when he's not playing World of Warcraft) for me to teach him what he needs to do.
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
http://www.pkmarketingsolutions.com
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Postby Audrey on Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 am

Leslie,

The purpose of writing articles is exposure. I can place ads all day long, both paid and free, but my articles get picked up and published and viewed by folks I could never reach online.

Several times now I've had articles published in offline magazines, often targed to a specific geographic zone. I never would've reached these folks through other marketing avenues.

I only submit my articles to 3 directories. For me, that just works. They get picked up, they get read and I'm happy.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby lstric0602 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Okay so what I gather it's like informative advertising to get these people to your website? Am I correct on that? Or is it deeper than that. I have a hard time just writing all together!

How do you guys find what to write? How do you jog your brain into full power on writing. Maybe that's why I do administriative things rather then writing...?
lstric0602

Postby Patrysha on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:12 pm

Yes, it's part advertising, part relationship building.

It doesn't have to be complicated - most are in the 400-500 word range, not much more effort than an email or forum post.

However, if you hate writing you can always hire someone (or barter with someone who likes to write that needs admin services). It's an important enough consideration that you should find a way to integrate it...
Patrysha
PK Marketing Solutions
http://www.pkmarketingsolutions.com
Patrysha
Media & Publicity

Postby Audrey on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:51 am

Leslie,

Do you write blog posts? Often blog posts are 200-400 words. An article can be right about 400 words.

If you check the article folder here, you'll find articles written by many different people on many different subjects. You don't need to be a professional writer.

I use Microsoft Word which will catch a spelling or grammar error and then I have someone who proofs for me after that and catches the tiny things.
Audrey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby lstric0602 on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:42 pm

Hey Audry...lol you know how I am. I don't write too many things. I may need to just sit down and write it all down in MS Works and edit it. I'm just not sure exactly what to write about.
lstric0602

Postby DianaWalker on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:10 pm

Great topic, Angela.

I was just wondering that this week, whether it is best to submit to the 10 or more Directories which I have been doing for the past year, or just concentrate on 1, 2 or 3 Article Directories.

I seem to find that most traffic comes from EzineArticles, so maybe I'll concentrate on that for the future.

Leslie, here is an example of how I have become an "Expert Author" at Ezine Articles -- I'm sure many others here have also:

http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Diana_Walker

I write about what I am passionate about - nutrition - and people find my articles - they may post them on their websites or blogs, and that gives me more incoming links, and it also builds relationship and my expert status. Also they may like what they read, and then click on my bio link and sign up for my newsletter.

Summarizing, Articles help with:

1. Incoming links
2. Traffic to your website
3. Relationship building
4. Expert status building

I'm sure there are other reasons.

Oh, by the way, one of the Directories now requires that articles be over 500 words. I think it was Isnare or Ezine Articles (can't remember which) - so now I always make my articles over 500 words. This was just a new rule.

Diana
I love helping people go from craving junk food to craving healthy food!

Diana Walker, Cravings Coach
http://www.thecravingscoach.com/blog
http://www.dianarecommends.com
DianaWalker
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby soapin'Angela on Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Leslie,

Current blog posts or if you have a newsletter are great places to get ideas for your articles. One thing I do is look at what newsletters have gotten a great reaction and then take the articles I already wrote and reword them so they're fresh and then submit them to the article directories.

Make sure you're reusing your content when possible so you can make the most of it.

I didn't know about that new rule Diana, thanks! I wonder if that's why one of my recent articles has been rejected twice from Ezine Articles, will have to check into that!

You know, something I've really decided to focus on this year is tracking what works for myself and for my clients.

So, yes, it might take more time to set up a system for tracking but it will be worth it to know what is actually working. I know a lot of people who do what you're doing Diana and don't really know the results of the time and effort put into that marketing. If you're able to figure out what's working then you'll be able to put more time and money into doing more of that and get better results. Anyway, that's my goal for myself and my clients this year -working smarter ;)
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby momtohanna on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:55 pm

This has been a great thread. I would say it depends what you are trying to accomplish whether you blast or get choosy.

If you are trying to get backlinks and up your page rank, then go for the blast. For this purpose you can use rewritten PLR articles or other stuff you have previously written. Look in your blog archives for some good articles. (use software to do it)

If you are looking for someone to pick up your article and post it to their newsletter or site, I'd say pick a couple really good directories. For this purpose make sure you have well written original material.

Not sure if you all are familiar with Associated content. I started submitting there instead of ezine articles for some of my articles. You get paid for each article you submit which is kind of nice and they are gaining ground on Ezinearticles in the search engines. So the outcome is similar and you get paid up front.

I think it all comes down to being clear about what you hope to accomplish and then take action from there.

Jackie Lee :)
momtohanna
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby jaz on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:24 pm

when l started out with artricle submission , its was just to get back links. Now am getting my artricles pick up by sites and blog, which is still back links :lol:
jaz
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Next

Return to Getting Started