What should I concentrate on?

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

What should I concentrate on?

Postby marisa on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I have quite a few avenues that I could pursue regarding income from home, and I feel like I need to narrow it down to really focus in.

Here's what I've got.

Our home business, which is mostly my husband's, where we do screenprinting, embroidery, graphic design, business cards, etc. This has been local only so far.

I'm also a childbirth educator, but would prefer to move more into postpartum doula services. I don't like trying to market the classes in competition with the local hospitals and midwives who offer their own classes.

We screen print and embroider children's t-shirts, did well last summer of '06 , but since then I haven't given it much attention. I sold these on Hyenacart and thinking about Etsy.

I have a blog I started in '07, in my sig below. I haven't really gotten a good idea where I want to focus on, or who my audience is though. My traffic is steadily increasing each day, but my bounce rate is high. Eventually, I want to monetize it somehow, but right now, I'm just trying to determine what I'm doing.

I am a consultant for Usborne Books, I would like to build my business online and create a website to link to my company site. I think it would be nice to have one network marketing biz for residual income for the future.

I am also passionate about natural skin care, have considered teaching classes at local rec centers on preparing your owns lotions, balms, etc. When my children are older, I plan to become a licensed esthetician.

See? I have quite a few directions I could go, but I can't decide what to hone in on to give me a business that allows me to still focus on homeschooling my four children and managing my home with the best potential for profit! Any advice, suggestions?

Thanks!!!
marisa
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Kit on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:29 am

Hey Marisa,

Welcome to the site and forum! You sound a lot like me (bless your heart ;) ) I am interested in a great many things and could go in almost any direction. As you said, the key is to narrow your niche so you can focus on one main theme or target market.

The common thread I see in all of your interests is Mom and baby. Here are a couple of ideas for you to be able to mesh some of these things together for one niche.

Gift Baskets
Offer a gift basket for new moms and babies. This could be offered at the hospital's gift shop or could be ordered from your local print shop.

The basket could contain baby items such as onesies, embroidered bibs, a favorite Usborne book, etc.

The basket could also contain mom items such as natural skin care items. You know how mom's changing hormones affect her skin and complexion!

Write and print a mini book to add to the basket. This book could include post-birth "doula advice" topics.

Courses
Teach a couple of classes for new moms/babies. Offer a freebie for completing the course, which of course, would be one of the products listed in the gift basket area above. ;) You could even make it a girls night out and offer the class to Grandmas! You know how much grandmas love spending money on the mom and new baby. :D

Teaching an online or off line course is a great way to attract attention to the things you have to offer. I do recommend that you do something locally to start the buzz about your new business. This puts you a little ahead of the online game because people who know you locally are more apt to buy from you and promote your business through word of mouth.

If you do this just right, you won't be violating any of the DS guidelines. For instance, you could offer a basket of books, a basket of blankets, t-shirts, and bibs, and so on. But as you said in another post, you'll need to check the company's TOS.

Hope this helps.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby LorettaOliver on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 am

Kit has already given you some fabulous advice so I just want to say good luck in whatever you decide to do! :D
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby AvParties4u on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi Marisa,

Welcome to the forum.. Kit gave some awesome advice..
I wish you much success with what ever you decide to do..
AvParties4u
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby lwillard on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi Marisa,

It sounds like you are very passionate about each of your businesses and I love your ideas.

Kit has given you some wonderful ideas on meshing these together.

One more thought - Your blog could be really general in nature. Maybe you focus on working at home, starting a home business, etc. Because you are involved with many ventures, you could really offer valuable information to the person that is looking to begin a home business.

This would also allow you several ways to monetize your sight.

Let us know what you decide.
lwillard
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby marisa on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, ladies, and for the great advice on tying it all together, Kit! The wheels are turning in my head now, and I'm going to ponder on it! ;)
marisa
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby basbds on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:27 am

Hi Marisa,

Another thought building on Kit's advice...

If you decide on an online course, you can create a national scope by purchasing lists of households with children and new home buyers. Chances are that both groups are in the 'baby' mode - or will be soon - and would like to jump into a free intro course; especially if you add the graduation gift idea (with participants paying S&H of course so that you're not out that amount along with the gift).

Don't forget to advertise your online course here at IBM if you decide to go that route!

Good luck!

Brian

-
Making Income the Intelligent Way
www.IntelligentIncome.info

HTWFH Publications,
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info

HTWFH Ezine
www.HowToWorkFromHome.info/Blog
basbds
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Return to Getting Started