I have so many questions...

New to online business? Still in the research stage? Need motivation?Post your getting started questions, tips, and get feedback here. No Ads

I have so many questions...

Postby LeslieS on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:29 pm

:D But I will start with just a couple in the beginning. I am new to this website, and so happy, and excited that I found it. I am extremely interested in working from home, and after reading a lot of the information that I have found on this site, feel like there is hope for me yet.

For a bit of an introduction first, my name is Leslie, and I live right in between Dallas and Fort Worth in Texas. I am a single mom with a 10 year old boy at home. I am currently a very hard working corporate sales assistant for a large wireless company. I have worked in a variety of fields. As a young adult, I was a hairstylist, and retail (salon) manager, and then I went into property management, after that, project management, after that, clerical, after that administrative, and now I am 1/3 sales, 1/3 administrative, and 1/3 customer service, and with the same company for 6 years. I've also done a lot of volunteer work. I've been the Publicity & Marketing Director for a community theatre, among other things, stage manger, assistant director, usher, concessions, tickets, etc. I've also helped Muscular Dystrophy Association and American Heart Association with events and fundraisers. I could probably go on forever.

I am so very ready to do something for myself now. Every time I have thought about starting my own business I have came back to one thing, and that is event planning. I have had a whole lot of experience with it the past 6 years in my current role, and I'm good at it, and actually enjoy it.
Unfortunately, my bank account tells me that I can't do something like that until it's got more cushion.

After reading some other options on this website, I have found a couple of things that really interest me. Some look like something I could do for a while until I know that I can financially afford to quit my current job.

My questions for any one that can answer are:

1. I see that many of you are working as VA's. I've enjoyed looking over your websites. They have been very informative for me. What I am really curious about is, how much work do you really get? Where do you find your customers? How did you get started, and how long did it get you to a good solid point where you are making enough money to be comfortable?

2. I am very interested in Ad Sense as well. I picked up a book on it too. I haven't started reading it yet, I just grabbed it today when I noticed it at the book store. Anyway, I'm curious about the different types of sites that you think are good Ad Sense web sites. Do any of you actually make a decent income from this? If so, how long did it take you before you did.

That is a good start for questions. I am excited that I got my login so I can post now. When I have more time tonight I am going to respond to some others that I have seen.

Any input would be great!

Leslie S.
LeslieS
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby Kit on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Hey Leslie! :D

How much work do you really get?

How much work you get depends on a lot of things, such as your abilities, experience level, quality of work, your target market, how quickly you get your name out there, etc.

One of the really good things about offering VA services is that you can do it part time or full time.

Where do you find your customers?

Website visitors, friends, clients' recommendations, other VAs, freelance sites, etc.

How did you get started...time until working from home full time?

I started building my skills as a member of a forum and just kept moving up the ladder to Admin. Later those same skills were beneficial when I started helping out other website owners and friends. It was about that time when it hit me that I could actually earn a living from this! lol

Depending on your income requirements and how fast you can transition, the time it takes to replace your corporate world paycheck can vary. I do know that it isn't uncommon to have your first client within 1-2 months but it could take up to 12+ months to support your entire household. Like I said, the timing depends on a LOT of different things, like your income needs and how much time you spend on building your VA skills and home business.

I hope this helps.

Kit
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Mila on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 am

Hi Leslie, welcome!

Kit answered your VA questions and I agree. If you're currently working in another job then you may want to think about publishing an information website and making money from adsense, affiliate marketing (where you promote other people's products for a commission) and then eventually over time even adding your own products.

I find that when you're starting out this type of website will help you learn all the ropes and if built right you can go on to make long-term passive income. Of course, you can provide VA services too but it's always good to have several options.

I'm glad you picked up a book on AdSense, which one is it? If you're going to purchase any other products feel free to ask for recommendations here. You'll find varying information from product to product so it's important to get the right ones.

Welcome again, and best of luck on your exciting journey! It's fun when you start to discover all this stuff :-)
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Adsense

Postby LeslieS on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks for the welcome.

I think that you are right about the information website. I just need to figure out what information I would like to write about. I do enjoy writing. I am such a jack-of-all-trades that it's hard to choose one thing that is marketable.

I just got the Dummies book for Adsense. I will definitely look around here to see what type of books I would like to take a look at and ask for suggestions.

Matter of fact, I will do that right now. I can use Frontpage or Publisher and I know HTML basics, so I can build a website, but I have never built a forum board, chat room (other than adding one from an outside chatroom), or a shopping cart. Are there any books out there that you can recommend to learn how to do that so I don't have to rely on someone else?

I'm very anxious to figure out where I want to start and doing it.

Leslie S.
LeslieS

Postby KellyMcCausey on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:44 am

I can't think of any books that would teach you that. The 'how to' is dependent on the tools you choose for each of those things.

The good news is that most tools/scripts for forums or shopping carts come with great manuals and even video tutorials as well as support forums that you can seek help from.

It's great that you know a little html. That will be very helpful, even if you choose to build a site with something like Wordpress (which I highly recommend!)
Work at Home Moms Talk Radio
http://www.wahmtalkradio.com
KellyMcCausey
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Mila on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Also, remember you don't have to do it all at once. STart small and build from there. The first step is to research a market/niche that you feel you can provide useful information on and that is also profitable.

My internet beginner's niche marketing guide will help you with that http://www.internetbasedguides.com/power-pack.html or you can simply ask questions here. But it's very important that you choose the right niche before putting work into it... so take a little time to plan before jumping in.

Things like forums, shopping carts, etc. can all be easily added once the site is up. THere are many VAs here too that can help set up something like that for quite a reasonable price if you didn't know how to do it.
Mila
Owner InternetBasedMoms.com

Postby Kit on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:36 am

Hey, Leslie. You might want to consider starting out with WordPress on your own domain. Many of us use it and it's pretty much ready to go once it's installed. Of course, you'd want to customize the template theme (or skin) to make the site more unique.

One of the things I like best about WP is that it is soooo versatile and works great as a content management system (CMS)!
Kit
Admin Support

Postby Carrielee on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:13 am

I'm not a VA but I do hire VAs in my business. Most of them I got to know through Mom Masterminds. So you could say that I networked with them first. I also took recommendations from trusted work at home Moms online.

So, if you want to get plenty of clients, make yourself known as a trustworthy individual by establishing relationships. Ask your clients for testimonials. Trade a reduced rate (at first while you're building clientele) for testimonials and help spreading the word about you.

My experience has been that a good VA usually has all the work she wants.

:)

Carrie
My affiliate programs are here
Carrielee
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby jaz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:46 pm

On the Adsense , you may want to find out what info you are interested in providing and then you can use wood tracker to find out the demand vs supply .
jaz
Great Friend & Oh So Helpful to IBMoms

Postby Mara B on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:44 am

I'm going to toss my two cents in here. Leslie, take your time before deciding. I honestly thought that being a VA was what I wanted. In the process, I have learned a lot of skills, but I also found out that I'm pretty happy being a ghostwriter/freelancer.

I'm still doing some VA work, but it's not my total focus. I'll take that type of work if it's offered and fits within my schedule, otherwise, I don't go seeking it.

I know you'll find great information, advice, and encouragement here, whatever you decide!!
Mara B
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

Postby lwillard on Fri May 09, 2008 1:15 am

Leslie,

I agree - take your time. It's a big decision when you start your home business. Think about your passion and what you enjoy doing. Having fun is part of the success equation. When you get up each day raring to go because you love what you do, that is priceless.

So, take your time, weigh your options and really think about your passion and your main goals.
lwillard
Great Friend and IBMoms Regular

Postby AvParties4u on Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Leslie,

Welcome to the forum.. This is a awesome community.. I've enjoyed It
for over 5 years now, this website has helped me so much and I hope
you enjoy it and find it helpful for you.. Find your passion.. Something
you'll really enjoy doing.. Good luck to you..
AvParties4u
*AWESOME Mom & Friend of IBMoms*

Postby Heartnsoul on Fri May 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Welcome from another single WAHM!
It's not easy being single and raising kids but working at home is the best for them and us!

Best wishes to you!

Debra
http://www.miabellanaturals.com
http://www.freebies-force.com
Heartnsoul

Return to Getting Started