Does anyone use Joomla?

Discuss web design, copywriting, SEO, traffic, advertising techniques and other aspects of developing a successful business.

Does anyone use Joomla?

Postby autumn1220 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:04 pm

I am in the process of building a site with Joomla. I know that there are several online tutorials and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations?
Judy
Judy
30% off all advertising until May 1st. Exclusive ad spots available. http://www.wahmonabudget.com
autumn1220
Great Friend of Internet Based Moms

Postby Mel on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:30 am

I've never used Joomla but have been thinking about putting up a small site with it just to get an understanding of how it works in case a future client needs help. These are the two sites I've bookmarked for reference...

http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/joomla/ - This site has tutorials for both 1.0 and 1.5 versions. From what I've read, 1.5 is not like an upgrade but a totally new version.

http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla_t ... rials.html
Melody

Want to be a VA? Let me show you how! VirtualBusinessMavens.com
Essential Office Support: Helping you manage, market and grow your business.
Mel
General Manager

Postby LorettaOliver on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:41 am

I've been wanting to get into joomla and play around since I keep hearing good things about it. Just haven't had the time to try it out yet. Those look like good tutorials, thanks for sharing Mel :)
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby JustJules on Mon May 05, 2008 1:55 pm

The best information I found on Joomla when I first learned how to use it was at joomla.org.

This demo version was really helpful. It lets you create in real time without "messing" up your own site.

And the Beginners Guide was helpful as well, with a lot of reference links.
JustJules
New to Internet Based Moms

Postby LorettaOliver on Wed May 14, 2008 4:02 pm

I never noticed that demo site before! That's definitely nifty to play with.
Product Review PLR ~ Our PLR Reviews make it EASY for you to add these to your website while making more affiliate sales!
Go from Beginner to Blogger in just 4 weeks!
LorettaOliver
Admin Support

Postby soapin'Angela on Thu May 15, 2008 11:05 pm

I've played around with Joomla and actually built myself a site to play with.. It's pretty complicated to figure out at first but I think once you're familiar with it it wouldn't be too bad. There are a lot of themes out there for free, similar to finding themes for Wordpress.

Mom Masterminds has some great tutorials on using Joomla when you're a full paid member, as long as they haven't been removed (pretty sure they're still there). I'm not sure the advantages of using Joomla though, didn't really get that far into it before I gave up and went back to wordpress, lol..
Fire Up Your Affiliate Program - FREE Teleseminar!
http://www.affiliatecommotion.com/2
soapin'Angela
*Super Supportive Mom & Great Friend*

I agree

Postby WAHParents on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:16 pm

I agree with Angela about joomla being a little confusing. Actually I am pretty internet savvy, but I got really frustrated with joomla. The learning curve just seemed really big.

In the future, I think I am sticking to static blogs or XSite Pro.

Just my thoughts.

Mindy
Stop by today for the best Online Business Ideas!
WAHParents

Re: Does anyone use Joomla?

Postby thriftycook on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 pm

I think the reason people like Joomla is they want a membership (paid) site or a community with passwords etc... I'm trying to build a site using it now and it IS confusing and a big learning curve. I've been reading that you can build a membership (paid) site that is automated with wordpress too - so who really knows which is better, to me they are all a little confusing :).

Can you build a paid membership site with xsitepro or any other way that is relatively cheap like joomla or wordpress?
thriftycook

Postby Kit on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:07 am

My developer friends say the way to go (for most people) is WordPress over Joomla.
Kit
Admin Support

Postby thriftycook on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:21 pm

There is a lady who will build you a wordpress membership site for what I THINK Is a good price:

http://www.thewordpressdiva.com/

I don't know her, and I've not used her yet, but I am highly considering it because I am starting to think my TIME is worth more than "this" lol.
thriftycook

Postby lancehibner on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 am

I have experience with both Mambo and Drupal, and I've used AdSense with both of them.
I have nothing bad to say about Adsense module for Mambo, but Mambo itself is not a good choice for high (and may be even medium) traffic websites. It's not a well opimized engine and requires a lot of "code changes" if you want to handle good traffic. It becomes slow and eats a lot of server's resources.
lancehibner

Postby JeanLA on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm

I have used joomla in the past and it works great. But when I found out about wordpress, I converted my site to it becasue of the great interface and quick search engine indexing.
Article writers wanted. Home based. Reliable payment every Friday.
Lots of work.
JeanLA

Return to Websites, Traffic, and Business Development